You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-08 22:26:48

twiistedkaos

iPOD nano question

I purchased an iPOD nano today, put some music on it, all was fine. Plugged it in to charge, and then unplugged it, music disapeared. Which didn't bother me to much, I figured I had it mounted and it just erased it's settings when I pulled the cord out. Plugged it back in, ran gtkpod, and I am getting this error when trying to load my iPOD:

Error initialising iPod: Problem creating iPod directory or file: '/media/ipod-1/iPod_Control/iTunes'.

Any ideas / Suggestions?

Alright, well somehow it magically fixed that error, how it's this one:

Error initialising iPod: Problem creating iPod directory or file: '/media/ipod-1/iPod_Control/Artwork'

I tried mounting ipod rw for user so I can create the directory manually, but silly me, nothing can be that damn simple. So I went into root and tried this:

mkdir /media/ipod-1/iPod_Control/Artwork
mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/ipod-1/iPod_Control/Artwork': Input/output error

Tried as normal user and as root, same error each time. This is really starting to anger me!

Last edited by twiistedkaos (2007-08-09 00:01:50)

#2 2007-08-09 03:09:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: iPOD nano question

I hope something here is useful...

I-Pods are extremely sensitive to being unplugged when mounted. My last I-Pod died mysteriously under those circumstances. I didn't persue a fix mainly because it was old and crusty anyway. But an important fact is here: when I-Pods get pulled prematurely, they have a tendency to have their file systems scrambled in very bizarre ways (more on that when your problem is fixed).

The first thing you need to try is to reset your I-Pod to factory specifications. It's in your manual on how to do that. Try that and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work, see if you have leftover folders for I-Pods under /media that may be confusing GTKPod. Or maybe try deleting GTKPod's hidden directory in your users account. If even that doesn't work, Amarok does a great job at rebuilding I-Pod file systems and databases.

When you get it working again, there's one more thing that you need to know: I-Pods currently have a bug on different systems that when you pull it off the charger (unmounted, of course), it still may not do anything. The solution to that is to just hold down the menu and select buttons simultaneously for enough seconds for it to reset.

#3 2007-08-09 03:19:59

twiistedkaos

skottish wrote:

I-Pods are extremely sensitive to being unplugged when mounted. My last I-Pod died mysteriously under those circumstances. I didn't persue a fix mainly because it was old and crusty anyway. But an important fact is here: when I-Pods get pulled prematurely, they have a tendency to have their file systems scrambled in very bizarre ways (more on that when your problem is fixed).

The first thing you need to try is to reset your I-Pod to factory specifications. It's in your manual on how to do that. Try that and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work, see if you have leftover folders for I-Pods under /media that may be confusing GTKPod. Or maybe try deleting GTKPod's hidden directory in your users account. If even that doesn't work, Amarok does a great job at rebuilding I-Pod file systems and databases.

When you get it working again, there's one more thing that you need to know: I-Pods currently have a bug on different systems that when you pull it off the charger (unmounted, of course), it still may not do anything. The solution to that is to just hold down the menu and select buttons simultaneously for enough seconds for it to reset.

I'll try these, but my ipod nano didn't come with an instruction manual, just a small quickstart guide that has no information about reset to factory conditions.

#4 2007-08-09 03:32:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

I guess the step above with menu and select (center) buttons is all you need to try for now.

#5 2007-08-09 03:42:39

twiistedkaos

skottish wrote:

Alright none worked, tried amorok hoping for the best, but it gives an error like "Error writing to /media/ipod-1 database"

Alright, Figured i'd update on my fix. I used fsck.vfat to fix the problem, it was a clutter error.

Last edited by twiistedkaos (2007-08-09 06:31:05)

Board footer