You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-12 18:08:51

thetrivialstuff

[SOLVED] evms root support in mkinitcpio?

Hi,

I'm trying to get a system set up with an EVMS volume for the root partition (EVMS for everything except /boot, actually). I tried the initrd image on the EVMS site (http://evms.sourceforge.net/), since the EVMS package (current/evms 2.5.5-3) didn't seem to come with one; that didn't work so well (the kernel panicked before it even got as far as finding the hard drive).

The package also doesn't seem to have the various kernel patches described on the site, so I assumed they weren't necessary (at least, I know the device mapper, etc. are already in kernel26)... I can run evms and successfully set up and mount volumes on a second hard drive, but it won't activate volumes properly on the boot drive, probably for the reasons described here: http://evms.sourceforge.net/install/kernel.html (under "BD Claim Patch").

Anyway, I'm now trying to add evms_activate to the initcpio thing, but the problem (as I see it) is that the BINARIES gets run before HOOKS, which is a bad thing, because hooks is where udev and the device mapper are and evms_activate wants those.

Is there any way to make the binaries run *after* the hooks? How about a way to edit the hooks? I notice Arch has hooks for lvm2 and software RAID, but not one for evms -- is one on the way if/when more people start using EVMS? I understand that EVMS is just software RAID + LVM2 bundled, but it also has some other features that I very much want to use that aren't in those -- namely bad block handling. Is there some reason more people aren't using it that I should know about?

Any help appreciated,

~Felix.

Last edited by thetrivialstuff (2007-08-13 01:31:17)

#2 2007-08-12 23:06:18

thetrivialstuff

Re: [SOLVED] evms root support in mkinitcpio?

I've made some progress, and believe I would now be able to boot my system if my desired root partition weren't in an EVMS LVM/RAID container -- I can see the EVMS 'compatibility' volumes in the initial /dev filesystem created on the ramdisk, with their fancy EVMS labels & everything.

I wrote my own hooks files for mkinitcpio (after realizing that most of that whole system is just shell scripts), and once I have everything working I'll submit/post them.

My current problem is with the RAID modules on startup -- it looks like md-mod is automatically creating md{0,1,2} and then EVMS tries to create those as well and dies with "md: md0 already has disks!"

~Felix.

#3 2007-08-13 01:30:55

thetrivialstuff

Re: [SOLVED] evms root support in mkinitcpio?

Yay it booted!

I'll do a full writeup in a little while, in case anyone else wants nice instructions for how to do this... in the mean time I will say that the [autodetect] mkinitcpio hook can kiss my *ss, and that I need some food now 'cause I'm hungry.

~Felix.

Board footer