You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-13 17:31:53

MrWeatherbee

Glipper 1.0-3 - New Python-Based Version - Major Issues

Anyone experience issues with Glipper after allowing a system update to the new python-based version 1.0-3? I had to revert to glipper-old 0.95.1-2 after the "upgrade".

Python aside (which causes the new glipper to use almost twice as much memory as the non-python version), the new glipper was loaded with "bugs" including installation of the glipper icon (which is required for functionality) to the wrong location, i.e., the system couldn't find it until I manually pasted it into the proper location. After that, I could get the applet to appear on the panel, but:

- it still wouldn't collect anything I copied, i.e., its list remained empty;
- the preferences window would display on its first launch, but thereafter it would display as a very small (~ 10x10 pixel) empty "window";
- plus a few other goofs, but the previously mentioned ones were enough to render glipper useless

I even uninstalled the new glipper and tried again making sure that any remnants of glipper-old were removed first.

Did anyone else experience any of this? Is it a glipper issue or the Arch packaging (I didn't try to install from source)? I did not see any other mentions of issues through searching, so either few people use glipper, or I'm the only one that had issues.

Just curious because I'm unlikely to update anyway, at least anytime soon, because of glipper's developers' decision to switch to python coding.

Thank you.

#2 2007-08-14 10:03:51

Mikko777

Re: Glipper 1.0-3 - New Python-Based Version - Major Issues

Thanks for explaining why I lost my glipper smile

Annoying.

Other problem i  have is with xmoto:

xmoto: error while loading shared libraries: liblua.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I hate it that im too noob to fix these issues when they break sad

#3 2007-08-14 19:00:52

MrWeatherbee

Re: Glipper 1.0-3 - New Python-Based Version - Major Issues

Mikko777 wrote:

Thanks for explaining why I lost my glipper smile

Annoying.

Well ... yes I have issues with the new glipper and have reverted back to the previous version. However, in your original thread about non-working packages:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=36251

you said this:

Mikko777 wrote:

Glipper:
command not found

Even if the new glipper had none of the issues I discuss above, it would not run with the simple command "glipper" as it used to. It is now a Gnome applet, so in order to know whether you truly have issues, you at least need to try to add it to a Gnome panel since that is how it now functions (I believe somewhere in the documentation, there is a command to get it to run as a freestanding app for testing purposes, but that is a different story .. and I can't remember the command anyway smile ).

Board footer