You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-15 18:08:03

schimpfj

[Solved] First Install: Error retrieving file 'kernel-header...gz'

Hello All

I am new to archlinux but not to Linux, though not really a pro either.

I am trying to install archlinux 8 using the new iso provided by Thomas http://www.archlinux.org/~thomas/iso-without-addons/ because I had the same issue with NTFS driver than some others (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=36065)

When kicking off the installation (all of base) I am getting the following error:

Beginning upgrade process...
:: Retrieving packages from current....
error : failed retrieving file 'kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-1.pkg.tar.g (-> gz, but only g displayed)
warning : failed to retrieve some files from current
error : failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Package Installation failed

The installation CD, which was used to start archlinux installer, is mounted to /src. ls /src shows me arch and isolinux as subdirs.

Anyone an idea what I might have missed out?

Alternate: How can I do an ftp installation? I had no joy (and no experience) getting the network/Internet configured. I tried DHCP and manual configuration whereby I confirmed the values prompted for ip, subnet, etc.

schimpfj

Last edited by schimpfj (2007-08-18 11:41:05)

#2 2007-08-16 00:11:48

Doehni

Re: [Solved] First Install: Error retrieving file 'kernel-header...gz'

Sorry, I have no clue what's going wrong there... sad
Maybe inserting the official 2007.08 CD before installing all the packages helps?...

I also had the NTFS issues with the official 2007.08 install CD and that's what I did:

I took the older 2007.05 Duke CD (e.g. ftp://archlinux.puzzle.ch/iso/2007.05-Linuxtag2007) and installation worked perfectly there.
I just had to update a lot of packages with

pacman -Syu

With a fast internet connection it doesn't matter taking an older install CD since Arch will be absolutely up to date with every update you make. (due to the rolling release cycle)

Grüße vom Bodensee wink

#3 2007-08-16 15:05:19

schimpfj

Danke für den Tip. Werde mal eine ältere CD ausprobieren.

Grüße zurück an den Bodensee Komme ihn bald wieder besuchen. ;-)

#4 2007-08-18 11:39:11

schimpfj

Muchas gracias, installed 2007.05-Linuxtag2007 image successfully and upgraded to latest version. Going to install kdemod next. Fingers crossed...  Now being a lucky memeber of the arch linux society. :-)

Board footer