You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-19 05:13:10

khordes

Smart Window Placement Manager for KDE

Hey all,  I'm having a hard time figuring out how to search for what I'm looking for as I don't think it fits nicely into a search term for google (or I simply do not know what the right term is :-)  At any rate, I'm looking for a program that will tile windows to a grid of my choosing, so it would be as if, for that window, it was maximized within it's "portion" of the screen, and there could be 3 or 4 windows like that on screen. Of course I could set them up by hand, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution, I guess you could say.  I know there are window managers that do this, but I'm looking for a simple program that implements this function in KDE (or maybe it is already a part of KDE and I just don't know it?) Thanks for your help, and arch is awesome, I've learned so much since I started using it 4 months ago!

cheers,
khordes

#2 2007-08-19 05:16:00

Acid7711
Website

Re: Smart Window Placement Manager for KDE

Imo, KDE has one of the smarter window placement managers available. I've been waiting for smarter gnome placement on multiple screens for ages......

#3 2007-08-19 05:20:19

khordes

It's not so much that I don't think the KDE window manager is smart, I'm just looking for this very specific function (which indeed, may not exist), just wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing

cheers,
khordes

#4 2007-08-19 06:34:23

Ankka

I don't think any wm does this with a panel..

#5 2007-08-19 10:20:58

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Click the mini-icon at the left of the titlebar of a kde window > advanced > special window settings > geometry

Sidenote : most programs use those settings, but some programs (firefox is one of them) don't.

For the malbehaving programs you may need to start them with the kstart command.
This is the command i use to start firefox maximized on desktop 2 :
kstart --window "Bon Echo" --desktop 2 --maximize firefox

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2007-08-19 17:17:44

big_gie

You could try compiz, replacing kwin. Then you could use the "mosaic" plugin which takes your windows and fill the screen with a mosaic of them. It's not really smart though. Each windows get the same size...

#7 2007-08-19 17:31:57

khordes

I'll have to look into the compiz idea, as that sounds kind of close to what im looking for.  I'm using beryl right now, though I imagine soon I will want to make the switch to compiz fusion.  Specifically, it would be cool to have a program that creates a user defined grid of "viewports" (for lack of a better term) that the user could then simply drag an open window to and have it maximized within it.  Particularly if you have a 24" monitor or something, it would make using screen real estate more intuitive.  Just a thought.

cheers
khordes

Board footer