You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-19 23:51:40

mrbug

inexplicable config loss

This is more of a warning than anything else...

I installed kernel26pierlo recently. My computer started acting "funny" shortly thereafter. First, it acted like I didn't compile ext3 support into the kernel (or like I compiled it as a module). Then it lost track of module dependencies. I switched back to kernel26ck, but the response time of my computer was ridiculously long/slow.

The real trouble came when kernel26ck was updated to 2.6.22.3.ck1-1. dbus stopped responded and I decided to reboot to load the new kernel, thinking that the kernel upgrade was the cause.

Then it happened. Kernel panic... with every possible entry in my GRUB menu -- ck, ck fallback, ARCH, and ARCH fallback. I booted from a voodoo Arch install cd and tried everything that I could think of: rerun mkinitcpio, uninstall kernel26ck, reinstall both kernel26ck and kernel26...

I had a don't panic iso, but I never got around to burning it. I had to boot with voodoo, chroot, eject the cd, cdrecord the iso, and reboot... I then reinstalled the kernel from the don't panic installer.

I rebooted and everything was fine again.

It turns out that when I installed the pierlo kernel,  I lost the modules="ata_generic ata_piix" line from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

Does anyone have any idea why that would happen? Installing kernel26pierlo had me go through make menuconfig, so I think that could have had something to do with it, maybe...

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#2 2007-08-20 18:32:41

dunc

Re: inexplicable config loss

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. I feel partially responsible since I recommended the pierlo kernel. It certainly looks like it was something to do with the compilation stage, because I installed the prebuilt binary and haven't had any problems. I was considering compiling a custom build, but maybe I won't bother now...

Anyway, you should probably bring this to Pierluigi's attention in the AUR comments.

0 Ok, 0:1

#3 2007-08-21 00:26:04

mrbug

No no! It's not your fault.. The odd thing, though, is that I didn't see the option to install a prebuilt binary. I only saw the AUR PKGBUILD.

It was a learning experience. I feel like I know more now, so I'm not complaining. I just wanted to give people a heads-up and hopefully maybe help someone else recover from a kernel panic (that resulted from anything).

You're right, though. I'll let him know that it empties the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file in the AUR comments.

How has the patchset been for you? I'm planning on using the -ARCH kernel until 2.6.23 comes out.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.

#4 2007-08-21 00:38:38

Pierluigi
Website

well, it sounds weird...

look at the PKGBUILD, /etc/mkinitcpio.conf is not touched.

install -m644 -D $startdir/src/${pkgname}.preset $startdir/pkg/etc/mkinitcpio.d/${pkgname}.preset || return 1
  install -m644 -D $startdir/src/mkinitcpio-$pkgname.conf $startdir/pkg/etc/mkinitcpio.d/$pkgname-fallback.conf || return 1
  # set correct depmod command for install
  sed -i -e "s/KERNEL_VERSION=.*/KERNEL_VERSION=${_kernver}/g" $startdir/kernel26pierlo.install
  echo -e "# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE\nALL_kver='${_kernver}'" > ${startdir}/pkg/etc/mkinitcpio.d/${pkgname}.kver

I compile the package that goes in my personal repo (http://pierluigi.netsons.org/pierlo-repository), and I've never experienced this sort of behaviour

#5 2007-08-21 18:07:07

dunc

It's been fine. That's really all I can say. smile No big dramas - good or bad - to report at all.

Having said that, I haven't compared it to a recent -ARCH kernel. But - at least, the last time I tried it (2.6.18, I think) - the stock kernel doesn't have rt patches or 1000Hz timing enabled, which I (kind of) need, so it would involve patching and compiling it myself, and I really can't be bothered with all that. tongue

0 Ok, 0:1

#6 2007-08-25 17:04:15

mrbug

I tried the precompiled kernel from Pierluigi's repository and it's been working fine for the past couple days.. Must have been a fluke!

Board footer