You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-19 23:58:53

xnooby2

[Solved] Easy way to get good looking fonts?

I've been reading a lot about how to configure fonts, but have not yet been able to arrive at a good solution.  I did a clean install, and then installed openbox and firefox.

My initial fonts were amazing. Lee bad. They looked like little pixel blocks.   I installed ttf-ms-fonts, ttf-dejvu, and ttf-bitstream-vera.  Then I read I should not use ttf-ms-fonts, so I removed it, and some webpages actually looked better.

Then I read some threads about how to make Arch fonts look like Ubuntu, but I didn't want to stray too far from the regular repositories, and I dont have DVI connection (I have a 19" flatscreen w/rgb connector).

I have an nVidia card, so I tried installing their proprietary driver - which worked, but didn't seem to help.  Foobillard wouldnt run, but miniracer did - so i assume opengl is working.

My goal is to have a minimalist system, so I'm hoping to use OpenBox instead of GNOME or KDE.  I use Firefox as my webrowser.  I installed "kdemod" on a very similar system, and the fonts looked just as bad as on my main box.

I'm pretty sure installing GNOME would give me good looking fonts, but I'm trying to make the minimalist system functional.  I've seen other peoples screenshots, so I know it is possible.

When I run xdpyinfo | grep resolution, it says "70x65 dots per inch".

Is there a way to get good looking fonts, while staying in the normal realm of repos?  When I experimented with kdemod, I wasn't able to uninstall it easily - which is the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.

Last edited by xnooby2 (2007-08-20 00:53:19)

#2 2007-08-20 00:25:15

xnooby2

Re: [Solved] Easy way to get good looking fonts?

I used "Ctrl-+" to make the fonts look bigger, and they actually look much better in firefox.  They are still too small in other places, like the Bon Echo title bar (the letters are like 1 milimeter!).

#3 2007-08-20 00:53:02

xnooby2

Re: [Solved] Easy way to get good looking fonts?

I created a file called ~/.Xdefaults and put this in to it:

Xft*dpi:                96
   Xft*antialias:          true
   Xft*hinting:            full

Now OpenBox looks perfect, weird!

I found that suggestion in the message archives.

Board footer