You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-21 21:05:04

aye

Can't boot into Arch after kernel upgrade

Hi!

Just came home from work and did the usuall pacman -Syu.
There was a kernel upgrade available, if I recall correctly, it was 2.6.22.4-2 (I might be wrong though)
So I pressed 'yes' and had my late night meal while pacman downloaded and installed the updates.
I rebooted and now I get something very similar to this:

Uncompressing Linux...

crc error

System halted

Arch Fallback from Grub menu doesn't work either.

Any suggestions on what could cause this error?

#2 2007-08-21 21:06:26

cmmig

Re: Can't boot into Arch after kernel upgrade

#3 2007-08-21 21:09:04

aye

Ok, thank you very much.
I looked on the first page of Kernel and Hardware section, but coudn't find anything that looked like my problem.

#4 2007-08-21 21:15:27

ziggy

Same problem here.
After installation of new kernel my system doesn't boot anymore.
Only what i have got is "Grub loading stage 2..." and then follows just blank screen - no errors, no mesages no nothing sad

How do I recover it?

All these problems with kernel upgrades are kind of strange.
Everybody are talking about how good and stable Linux are, but because of the problem given above I have to use my Laptop where XP are installed.
By the way, this was the reason why I bought the laptop - to be able to find a help when my Linux PC is not working after running upgrade and this post is written using it.
I'm Linux user for 8 month already and this is second time when something went wrong after upgrade...
Seems I can't relay on Linux completely.
It is sad but true! sad

Last edited by ziggy (2007-08-21 21:28:20)

#5 2007-08-21 22:16:47

killajoe
Website

the same think crt error system halted for me today .... never had some like that before with any linux....  but Arch is some fast forward thinking structure!....

to use the system while fixing the prob do that:  put in any arch installation cd/dvd and start the sys. with that
arch root=/dev/sda3 (where is my root?)  that should start into your system....

and then lets take a look what is wrong.....   may we got a fixin update tomorrow

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

#6 2007-08-21 22:22:33

rayjgu3

not to be a jerk but if you looked at forums , check news & pay more attention then you wouldnt have these problems
3 hours have passed from when this issue was brought up till you posted have you spent the last 3 hours trying to figure this out?

if so then you havent read this whole thread & linked material & wiki, cause if you had you would know the fix
the link cmmig posted in this thread gives an answer to your issue or you can look here
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Res … oot_loader
or
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB
again it is not my intention to piss you off but rather point out archlinux is for experienced linux user we can help you get experienced & the only way that happens is if you have a few hurdles to overcome without whining & moaning at every obstacle

linux can be stable if you take the time to make it so
ms windows can be a good stable enviroment if you take the time to make it so
same goes for any os

you say you cant rely on linux but can it rely on you?

have a good day unless you have other plans.....  i dont

ziggy wrote:

Same problem here.
After installation of new kernel my system doesn't boot anymore.
Only what i have got is "Grub loading stage 2..." and then follows just blank screen - no errors, no mesages no nothing sad

How do I recover it?

All these problems with kernel upgrades are kind of strange.
Everybody are talking about how good and stable Linux are, but because of the problem given above I have to use my Laptop where XP are installed.
By the way, this was the reason why I bought the laptop - to be able to find a help when my Linux PC is not working after running upgrade and this post is written using it.
I'm Linux user for 8 month already and this is second time when something went wrong after upgrade...
Seems I can't relay on Linux completely.
It is sad but true! sad

#7 2007-08-21 22:38:48

cmmig

Regardless of whether or not a problem caused by an update can be fixed, once a stable system is up, an update shouldn't cause these problems, in particular the crc error. It appears that this error is affecting everyone who installs the -2 kernel, and as such is a bug that should be fixed by the dev team rather than forcing users to use workarounds to get a bootable system. I am not complaining about the dev team, they have made a wonderful distro, but the kernel maintainer seems to have made a mistake that makes systems unbootable, and this package has been in the wild for a few hours without being removed or updated.

I could understand if I was using a kernel from testing or unstable, but using the current repo should give a stable system with the proper configuration, and due to one bad package it isn't. Perhaps there should be a change in update protocol to allow for additional testing of kernel packages before release.

Also, on the archlinux.org homepage there should be an article on how to fix the system from the -2 kernel, rather than making users search through the forums to get an answer; otherwise, more threads like this will form asking what happened and how to fix it.

#8 2007-08-21 22:50:54

cmmig

I just saw the kernel26-26.22.4-2.1 go live, im assuming thats this fixes the crc error. Thanks go to the kernel maintainer or whoever fixed the package.

#9 2007-08-21 23:17:10

rayjgu3

cmmig wrote:

I could understand if I was using a kernel from testing or unstable, but using the current repo should give a stable system with the proper configuration, and due to one bad package it isn't. Perhaps there should be a change in update protocol to allow for additional testing of kernel packages before release.

Also, on the archlinux.org homepage there should be an article on how to fix the system from the -2 kernel, rather than making users search through the forums to get an answer; otherwise, more threads like this will form asking what happened and how to fix it.

if the said pkg works on the maintainers system how many systems should it be run against before release?

most experienced linux users are going to know how to fix this, its the newbies/ less experienced people that need help on this.

http://www.archlinux.org/about/
So, to sum up: Arch Linux is a workhorse distribution designed to fit the needs of the competent linux user. We strive to make it both powerful and easy to manage, making it an ideal distro for servers and workstations. Take it in any direction you like.

also i see 3 threads here staing issues with kernel update. all 3 are in different catagories
newbie , kernel & hardware, & pacman & package udate all started hours apart.
this would leave a person to believe the users starting the last 2 threads didnt look through forums before posting.
am i being anal? yes
why? because AAHHH fix my system is not learning
as some one on these forums pointed out to me, some time ago when i was a newbie
typing is not a replacement for thinking

these comments here in are only my opinion
& i reserve the right to revise them
smile

#10 2007-08-22 07:32:22

STiAT

Well, it fits kernel or pacman / package issues.

I wonder who shot the bird this time ;D ... i wracked 3 systems - anybody else?

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#11 2007-08-22 09:39:21

nGerrit

just for the record. i had the same problem this morning wink

nGerrit

#12 2007-08-22 15:29:25

Blind

Umm - I also have this problem.

So what now? Install a/the new kernel? Because, heck, I don't have an old one in my cache.
Oh well, life can suck.

Cheers,
Blind

#13 2007-08-22 21:00:56

rayjgu3

well if you installed from a cd you could install the kernel thats on cd
then you could grab one from aur or there are a number of kernels in repositories
-ck, -suspend
or look for pro audio thread they have a -rt (real time)
there are other alternatives for a kernel

Blind wrote:

Umm - I also have this problem.

So what now? Install a/the new kernel? Because, heck, I don't have an old one in my cache.
Oh well, life can suck.

Cheers,
Blind

#14 2007-08-23 05:18:57

aka_arch

I was thinking "kernel fallback" option in grub menu is for the last known working kernel. That is whenever new kernel is installed, the existing one is copied as "kernel fallback". So that if there is problem booting with newly installed kernel, "kernel fallback" can be selected from grub menu. However since no one mentioned using "kernel fallback" for the above said problem, I think my notion about "kernel fallback" is probably wrong. Can anyone please give me some pointer to details about "kernel fallback" option. Though I think this is the way it should be implemented, to avoid any future problems of this short.

#15 2007-08-23 19:36:58

JaDa
Website

kernel26 2.6.22.5-1

this update works now wink

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#16 2007-08-24 08:04:10

zenlord
Website

Hmmm, just to be on the safe side: I did an update yesterday, and updated my kernel to 2.6.22.4-2.1. Afterwards I rebooted and got all kinds of bad messages, and always something else: 'Kernel panic', just halting after 'freeing up kernel memory - 268k' and so on. So I remembered this thread which I happened to stumble upon yesterday and used my Arch LinuxTag-cd to boot from, but I encountered the same problems... The few times I could boot into Arch linux, X wouldn't start and the X.log stated the script XKeepsCrashing-script was used. Using 'pacman -U kernel26-*' returned errors about corruption

Ok, so now I'm starting to freak out (I'm still learning to handle linux) and try to boot with different options (nosmp atc.), and even try that Elive Unstable live cd I have lying around. It didn't boot last time I used it, but what the heck, it can't get any worse, can it? This livecd gave me also the opportunity to use memtest86, and upon running it I got thousands of errors in a few minutes...

So, case closed? I've read a while back that memtest86 can return a false positives, that's why I want to make sure this behaviour is not caused by the faulty kernelpackage (before I go out and buy some new memory...)

THX!

Zl.

Last edited by zenlord (2007-08-24 08:05:54)

#17 2007-08-24 17:22:14

KimTjik

If you get "thousands of errors" it's for sure not a false positive. However, errors in Memtest doesn't necessarily mean that a module of RAM is ready for the bin. Is it a pre-built PC, yes then probably something is wrong with the RAM; if it's a PC you built yourself it might just need some more tweaks of settings in BIOS.

What system and hardware do you have?

#18 2007-08-24 17:44:07

zenlord
Website

KimTjik wrote:

What system and hardware do you have?

It's a ca. 5y old AMD XP 2000+ on a Via KT400a motherboard with 256MB DDR. It's not that I don"t believe it can be the hardware, it's that it is a real coïncidence that this happens after upgrading a kernel that has caused similar (as in 'no boot') trouble.

Anyways, I have found some DDR lying around, so I can test the RAM.

THX for your answer!

Zl.

#19 2007-08-24 18:04:22

KimTjik

Compiling the kernel takes some CPU power and RAM has to transport quite big chunks of information. Hence, while causally using the system you might not notice the faulty module of RAM, at least for some time, but eventually it will break something crucial while being pushed to its limits. Compiling the kernel put it under more stress than usual.

Hope you have some spare module to test. Via based motherboards have usually a quite simple and less demanding configuration, so the BIOS will probably not contain a lot of RAM settings.

Good luck!

Board footer