You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-22 00:47:55

jskier
Website

Any laser printer experts out there?

I feel like this community has helped me out so much and, I, when I can have contributed some... That being said I need some help tackling a broader problem, a laser printer problem I've had for some time now. It is a Brother, HL1440 model and works great in both Linux and Windoze, however it has a problem- it tends to print dots (2-4) down the center of the page. I have posted an example below.

The infamous 'dots' ~ http://jskier.com/images/hl1440.jpg

Here is what I have done:
-Replaced drums and toners.
-Cleaned the inside with a damp cloth thoroughly

In the sample image I have provided I used the drum that duplicates the problem the best for photographic sake. On the other drum it isn't nearly as big but there are typically more smaller dots (along the center as well).

Any ideas on how to address this? Like I said I've done the drums and toners, is it just a fluke both are bad? I'm thinking there has to be something within the printer that could be causing this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

--
JSkier

#2 2007-08-22 08:46:53

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Any laser printer experts out there?

I've seen similar problems with canon laser printers, but they were solved by replacing the drum with  a new one.

I assume your replacement drum was a new drum ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-08-22 10:06:43

jskier
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I've seen similar problems with canon laser printers, but they were solved by replacing the drum with  a new one.

Yes it was. Could be just a fluke I suppose. Although I wish I knew the answer before blowing $70 on a new one. Maybe I'll just buy another printer altogether neutral

Last edited by jskier (2007-08-22 10:07:00)

--
JSkier

#4 2007-08-22 12:11:33

jskier
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I'd like to mention that the toner alarm goes off regardless of which one I use... I'm so used to it flashing I didn't think to mention it. However there is a separate drum alarm that isn't going off at all. The toner itself is fine, it seems like a defect in the counter the printer uses.

--
JSkier

#5 2007-08-30 17:22:46

celf

It is the fuser (the one that gets hot) or it is the drum.
The best way to know it (without spent the money on a new drum) is to stop the printing process while the paper is in the middle of this parts.
If you have this marks before the paper gets the fuser, the problem is in the drum. If the paper is clean of marks, the problem is in the fuser.
I hope this helps you.

#6 2007-08-30 17:53:12

jskier
Website

celf wrote:

It is the fuser (the one that gets hot) or it is the drum.
The best way to know it (without spent the money on a new drum) is to stop the printing process while the paper is in the middle of this parts.
If you have this marks before the paper gets the fuser, the problem is in the drum. If the paper is clean of marks, the problem is in the fuser.
I hope this helps you.

Interesting, I googled a bit and there seems to be a lot of fuser probems with this printer. Very expensive to replace sad

I'm giving it away free on craigslist as of yesterday, hopefully someone finds some use in it smile

--
JSkier

Board footer