You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-23 01:39:00

terreiro

2007.8 Installation on Toshiba laptop hangs

Hi,

I am trying to install the last Archlinux release (2007.8) on my Toshiba Satellite M30-801 laptop, without success however.

After I press "Enter" on the prompt the installation starts, but a few minutes after it simply stops, and I get the following message:

Checking optical devices for addons.
Looking for new config files on /dev/sda6, checking /config directory...
No files found to copy in /config directory on media disk
Looking for new packages to install on /dev/sd6, checking /packages directory
No new files found to copy and install in /packages directory on media /dev/sr0
No new files found to copy and install in /packages directory on media /dev/sda6

Any idea what it can be? How can I overcome this problem?

I have already tried all the suggested boot options, and even format (ext3) the available partitions for Archlinux with a livecd, but without success.

Cheers,
terreiro

Jose Terreiro

#2 2007-08-23 04:58:38

dolby

Re: 2007.8 Installation on Toshiba laptop hangs

thats standard behaviour not an error. u should get that for all devices in system. doesnt anything else happen later than those msgs?

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-08-23 08:51:46

terreiro

Thanks for the clarification.

I will try later to install Archlinux again. And I will wait for a long time to see if anything happens.

Anyway, how much does one has to waiting after receiving those messages? In my case it seems that the installation simply stopped. No hard-drive activity.

Cheers,
--
terreiro

Jose Terreiro

#4 2007-08-23 14:46:50

terreiro

Hi,

I've tried all suggestions/tips I could find "related" to this problem (disablehooks=arch-addons, disablemodules=ntfs, noapic, apci=off, etc), yet the installation still hangs-on and stops, with this two last sentences:

NTFS driver 2.1.28 [Flags: R/W MODULE].
NTFS volume version 3.1.

It seems this is a bug already reported (see http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7868), but without any solution yet.

I'm tempted to believe that, at least for the last Archlinux release it is simply "impossible" to get it installed on my laptop (toshiba satellite M30-801, pentium centrino, 512 RAM, nVidia video).

I think I have to wait for future Archlinux release and/or this bug can be solved.

Cheers,
--
terreiro

Jose Terreiro

#5 2007-08-23 19:25:01

Doehni

Hi terreiro,

You're right, you are suffering the same bug as me... ;-)
But you don't have to wait for future releases! You could just do what I did: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 19#p273619

Board footer