You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-23 12:45:16

utor

Intel Chipset

Ok, well, this is one of the many times I've tried to install Arch (various GRUB issues kept me from getting this far). I've run the iso and everything went well this time. Now I'm here, stuck only with the command line, which I have very little experience with and my wireless internet chooses not to work.

So, now it's me and the command line. I've followed the Wiki guide and I had a friend helping me, but to no avail.

Onto the problem...

Intel PRO/Wireless ipw3945

I have all the patches and dependencies for this card, but my problem is setting it up. I've tried various means to make Arch recognize it, but none have worked/I haven't done them correct(?). So my rc.conf is back to normal with just a 'eth0="dhcp" ' alteration.

I know all my network information, I'm just looking to allow my card to be recognized. Any assistance? Thanks.

Right. So I'm using the latest release, too.

I've also use a few different distros from SuSe to Ubuntu and Kubuntu, so I'm fairly familiar with a GUI but I'm totally out of my element with basic command line.

Last edited by utor (2007-08-23 12:49:03)

#2 2007-08-23 14:13:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Intel Chipset

Turn off (temporarily) any encryption on your wireless AP/router. Edit /etc/conf.d/wireless and /etc/rc.conf as required, to include your essid and IP configuration. Restart your network.

If it doesn't work, check dmesg and your logs for useful info.

Once you have it up and running, you can install a GUI if you want, and re-enable your encryption, if you're using it.

One more thing - when you're posting here, it's a good idea to make the topic as relevant as possible. "Intel chipset" could mean a lot of things.

#3 2007-08-23 14:31:26

Ramses de Norre

I've added this in my rc.conf to enable my wireless:

wlan_ath0="ath0 essid ###### key ##############"
WLAN_INTERFACES=(ath0)
INTERFACES=(lo ath0)
gateway="default gw 192.###.###.###"
ROUTES=(gateway)

And I've added the driver module to the MODULES array in that same file. Make sure you've got the right device node too, like mine is ath0 for the wireless and not eth0, you can find out with iwconfig.

I don't like fiddling with the wireless files and such as I can achieve the same with a few lines in rc.conf.

#4 2007-08-23 15:52:47

JGC
Developer

ipw3945 needs the ipw3945 driver, and the ipw3945 daemon, together with the firmware image. All are available as package. Be sure to start the ipw3945 daemon before network, as your card won't work without the daemon.

There's also iwlwifi you could try, but that one gives a huge amount of packetloss on my laptop.

#5 2007-08-23 15:55:15

thayer
Fellow
Website

utor, you say you're stuck at the command line... Do you have a wired ethernet connection to grab updates or more packages in the interim?

There are currently two drivers for 3945 chipset, neither of which come with the ISO, so if you haven't downloaded them specifically you will never get wireless running until you do.

For the purpose of getting up and running, I would suggest the newest iwlwifi drivers, which are very easy to install (assuming you have a wired connection available).  Detailed instructions can be found here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … nd_ipw4965

Once installed, 'ifconfig' should report a new interface at wlan0. Hope this helps!

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-08-23 20:32:13)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#6 2007-08-23 20:09:35

utor

Thanks everyone. I don't have the time to read or try this yet, but I'll get around to it later tonight.

Board footer