You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-23 22:59:22

miko

Simple GUI admin tools?

Hello,
I am trying to customize arch linux for a windows user, who does not know linux, but want to use it wink And all this is on an old Pentium 600MHz with 128MB RAM, so I am looking for light solutions.
So I have installed icewm with XP theme, rox, xfe and idesk, which basically resemble WindowsXP.
But now I am searching for simple GUI admin tools to manage users (add new user, change password). I would prefer the "unix way" - one simple tool for one task, instead of one Swiss-army-knife app. The only two tools I found are linuxconf/gnome-linuxconf (which unfortunately is not developed anymore) and webmin/usermin (which needs a webserver, and is way too complicated). Do you know any useful tools like this? Do you have any other recommendations? For example, I could not find simple and not terminal-only mixer, and there is no mixer tray for icewm, so I had to use aumix-gtk ang gnome-alsamixer (both of which are too complicated).
Do you know similar projects? Or if other (possibly "mini") distros use some light and not distro-specific tools? Please share your recommendations.

Regards,
miko

#2 2007-08-24 02:27:28

Phrodo_00
Website

Re: Simple GUI admin tools?

there's gnome-system-tools if the dependence in gnome doesn't bothers you.

#3 2007-08-24 04:40:55

AndyRTR
Developer

webmin/usermin

#4 2007-08-24 12:19:20

shen
Website

all arch has is webmin and usermin really and yes they aren't super easy to use... I agree it would be handy to have something basic in arch like that. Just doesn't exist as far as I know.

Board footer