You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 00:15:47

ewl

wifi question

I'm new to wifi. I've got it set up great under arch. It's a lot more stable than with ubuntu.

Today I brought my car to the dealer for a checkup. They had wireless access in the waiting room. I managed to get is set up, but I had to reboot the machine in order for it to work. After I changed the configuration in rc.conf I ran "/etc/rc.d/network restart" . It restarted, but the network wasn't working. I had to reboot, and then it worked. Is there a way to reset the configuration without having to reboot.

#2 2007-08-24 00:21:20

dmartins

Re: wifi question

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that network restart didn't always work when changing configurations. Did you try doing a stop then start? That seemed to work better for me.
edit: looking at the network script now I see it runs a stop, waits 2 seconds and then does a start so maybe this won't work tongue

Recently I switched my laptop to using wicd and I really prefer it over network manager because you can set static IPs & it will remember settings based on SSID or a name you specify in the case of a wired network. It's available in the AUR.

Last edited by dmartins (2007-08-24 00:23:15)

#3 2007-08-24 06:25:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: wifi question

You should check your logs when you do a network restart, and see if you can identify any errors.

Board footer