You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 07:00:56

signor_rossi

[SOLVED]Where is the place to set program path for root in arch?

The situation is that I use qingy (set up according to wiki) as login manager and kde as desktop. When I use tty6 (agetty) to login (how comes that I cannot login as root, have to login as user and then su) /usr/sbin is in the path for root, but in kde when I su in konsole it is not. That caused me some headache with the latest kernel upgrade, since in kde the kernel will not upgrade properly, I have to do it on tty6. what is the proper way to set paths in arch? I looked at /root/.bashrc and that is almost empty. What obvious things am I missing? Has qingy to do with that problems? Any docs on that for arch? Besides firefox doesn't see any installed plugins, opera does. Plain Centrino laptop here.

Thanks, signor_rossi

Last edited by signor_rossi (2007-08-24 15:12:31)

#2 2007-08-24 12:24:19

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: [SOLVED]Where is the place to set program path for root in arch?

Well, /etc/profile should control all users' PATH, but I don't think that's your problem for some reason.

#3 2007-08-24 12:55:22

harlekin

For per-user paths I'd suggest ~/.bashrc.

PATH=$PATH:/your/custom/path:/another/path

But please try to clarify what exactly your problem is. As Misfit is, I am not quite sure if this is what you've asked for either.

Last edited by harlekin (2007-08-24 12:56:15)

Hail to the thief!

#4 2007-08-24 15:11:18

signor_rossi

Thanks for the answers. Investigated a little more and it seems it is really qingy what messes things up. Deactivated it and used "startxfce4" to start xfce and "startx" with "exec startkde" in my  .xinitrc to start kde (once I figured out that in Arch "startkde" on command prompt alone does not work wink ) and voila, the path weirdness is gone in both DEs. Will look again into qingy when I have more time, since it is really nice when using different X setups (laptop on the go or laptop on docking with second display), like the eye candy. I guess I will stick to console now and simply use bash aliases for that purpose.

Thanks, signor_rossi.

Board footer