You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 12:11:09

senjin
Website

[SOLVED] cool'n'quiet & modprobe newbie question

This is probably very newbie question, but I have no idea what to do.

I want to have cool'n'quiet working on my amd64. I turned it on in bios, and downloaded powernowd.

When I type:
> modprobe powernow-k8
> powernowd

it works. I added powernowd to demons in my /etc/rc.conf but after restarting computer it doesn't work - I have to type both commands above again.

How to make my system not forget loaded module after restart?

Last edited by senjin (2007-08-24 19:49:31)

#2 2007-08-24 12:33:35

oksana

Re: [SOLVED] cool'n'quiet & modprobe newbie question

I haven't used powernowd, but I did follow the Beginners Guide to install cpufrequtils. Here's a link if you want to check it out. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … cy_scaling

"Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic." - Dostoevsky

#3 2007-08-24 12:36:12

pelle.k

Use either /etc/modprobe.conf or the MODULES= array in /etc/rc.conf. I would have thought powersaved provided a config file from where you could pick a module to load though... sure there isn't one in /etc/ ?

Personally i would opt for powersaved, since i think it's more full featured (it's more a _power_ than a _cpu_ manager), but then again you may not care for anything other than controlling the cpu stepping/speed.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2007-08-24 19:48:54

senjin
Website

I used MODULES= in rc.conf and it works. THANKS!

Another thing - just a while ago my computer got completely frozen, only caps lock and scroll lock blinking (it's kernel panic, right?).

I can't exclude problem with kernel itself as I updated it today, but it could be problem with powernowd... do you think cpufrequtils is more stable? All I need is slowing down my cpu freq when computer is idle.

#5 2007-08-25 01:10:19

pelle.k

i really don't think that would normally lead to a kernel panic. a kernel panic is most often driver related.
hope for the best with new kernel updates... smile

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer