You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-26 13:05:35

ezzetabi

best eDonkey network client

the best is about about speed, considering I usually seek for very rare files.
(Like 3 or 4 sources)

I tried amule, it works well but its clients amulecmd and amulegui are quite buggy... and the engine sounds slow to me... there are alternatives?

Last edited by ezzetabi (2007-08-26 13:07:35)

#2 2007-08-26 18:54:05

wuischke

Re: best eDonkey network client

Well, afaik there are only mldonkey, hydranode and xMule as alternatives.

I do not intent to defame xMule, but it is very outdated and is code-wise similar to aMule.

Hydranode is a very interesting concept, but its development has been stopped some time ago. I'm not sure if it supports recent protocol additions like support for file bigger than 4GB, but you might have problems with some servers which require Protocol Obfuscation.

I have no experience with mldonkey, but some people say it is evil. wink It is fairly recent regarding its implementation of the features (it has support for files bigger than 4GB in CVS and taking a look at the wiki they are working on PO) and I suggest you just have a look at it.

I'm a code monkey for the aMule project and therefore obviously biased, but it's the best implementation of the current ed2k protocol for Linux. It's written in C++ using wxWidgets and should be one of the faster implementations, but I _think_ that hydranode and maybe mldonkey are more resource friendly.

aMuleGUI is feature incomplete and not actively worked on (there's a C# based gui in development and I know that an external developer is working on a GUI for various file sharing apps including aMule).

amulecmd should not be buggy, but it will not support all functions of aMule.

Last edited by wuischke (2007-08-26 18:54:56)

#3 2007-08-27 08:55:46

ezzetabi

Re: best eDonkey network client

My problem about amulecmd is about uf8, it sometime only show `(null)' instead of filenames.
The gui instead crashed almost every time...

About other choices, you may use emule with wine... :S It did that for some time, it actually works pretty well. But I was wondering if there is a less expensive solution.

about mldonkey, maybe I was just unlucky but it never download a file to me... :S

Board footer