You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-26 14:00:52

Johnnio

New to Arch

Hi. The only prior experience I've had to Linux are using Ubuntu for quite a while (on and off really), and I've experimented with other distributions too but I didn't like any of them (Ubuntu was cool, but I feel like a change).

So I came across Arch Linux and it looks quite cool, nice website, nice community and really active. So I was wondering if I will be comfortable with this distribution, or is this aimed at more experienced users?

Also, what package manager does Arch use? Like in Ubuntu there was Synaptics and stuff (and you could use 'apt-get' in the console which was handy), what does Arch use?

Thanks,
John

smile

#2 2007-08-26 14:07:59

ProzacR

Re: New to Arch

Arch use Pacman.

At the begining Arch is harder than Ubuntu, but with some reading it is not hard.
Here is good text for beginers:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#3 2007-08-27 23:28:18

mac57
Website

Arch is definitely not aimed at those who are not comfortable configuring things by hand via text based configuration files. So, if you are looking for more automated wizard type approaches, Arch may not be the distro for you.

HOWEVER, Arch has a truly excellent Wiki, and it can show you, in great detail, how to configure almost anything you need. What you can't get from the Wiki you can get from the very helpful user community here in these forums.

Arch is a great place to learn more about Linux and explore what it is capable of when the system configuration is placed in your hands. not the hands of an overarching distro designer. I have tried a large number of Linux distros, probably two dozen by now, and Arch remains the best in my mind.  If you feel like getting your hands just a little dirty, jump on in. You'll probably love it here in "Arch land".

Last edited by mac57 (2007-08-27 23:28:58)

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#4 2007-08-28 00:48:03

Leigh

I think arch is perfect for the newcommer to linux who wants to learn about linux and what makes things tic. It wouldn't be a good choice for someone who just wants everything to work without needing to learn very much.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#5 2007-08-28 02:48:21

Valavien

I have learnt heaps already having installed Arch a few weeks ago.  I also used ubuntu for a few years on my dual boot pc but have now installed Arch on my laptop.  I find that it's fun and rewarding to play with it but you do need a bit of time up your sleeve when you are new until you get the primary stuff setup.  Don't expect everything to happen straight away.  But I have found I now prefer to use the commandline for certain things and can troubleshoot other problems a little better.

Board footer