You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-26 20:33:57

btartsa

Creating initial config when patching a kernel w/ ABS

Hey all, I have a long standing issue with patching kernels that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. My understanding is that coping the config from the stock kernel and patching should provide you with any new options available when the build gets to the menuconfig stage. Do I have to do make config first then rebuild it? Make oldconfig? I can provide more details if need be.

EDIT:

I tried  make config and worked through the new options. Then I killed the compilation and copied .config back to the build dir as config. Now the config file shows options correctly. I deleted the src dir and changed the PKGBUILD back to make menuconfig. I ran makepkg but at menuconfig I STILL can't see the options! How is this possible?

Thanks!

Ben

Last edited by btartsa (2007-08-27 14:34:20)

#2 2007-08-27 12:19:39

klixon

Re: Creating initial config when patching a kernel w/ ABS

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

If i understand correctly you're
1. making your own patchset
2. copying in the config from a stock arch-kernel. (Are you trying to keep it as similar as possible to the stock arch-kernel? If so, why?)
3. toggle some options for the patches you applied and save those to ${startdir}/src/linux-x.yy.zz/.config
4. copy ${startdir}/src/linux-x.yy.zz/.config to ${startdir}/config
5. start a new build, which cats ${startdir}/config to ${startdir}/src/linux-x.yy.zz/.config, and starts make menuconfig
6. wonder why the options you selected in step 3 are still selected in step 5???

I may be missing something here, but i quit smoking 2 days ago...

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-08-27 13:55:31

btartsa

Re: Creating initial config when patching a kernel w/ ABS

To clarify: SLUB for example is an available option if I cat config. At the menuconfig stage it is no longer available as a choice. Someone on IRC mentioned that some options are only available if others are enabled but I don't if that might be the case.

Last edited by btartsa (2007-08-27 14:34:43)

Board footer