You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 03:28:51

mac57
Website

Command Line Audio Player?

I have finally gotten the Arch install (Duke) on my older PC to play audio. I had a SoundBlaster Vibra 128 in that machine and never could get it to work. I eventually gave up and replaced the Vibra 128 with a SoundBlaster PCI 512 that I bought on eBay. I installed it today and voila! sound. Excellent!

...well, almost. I immediately embedded some startup and shutdown sounds into my startup and shutdown sequences, using the sox "play" command as the player. I almost as immediately discovered that sox's play command seems to add about 2 seconds of audio junk at the end of each .wav file I play (doesn't seem to impact .ogg files though). The same files play properly though xmms though. I am perplexed, and assume sox must have some form of bug.

So, to test this theory, I am looking for another command line (i.e. non X based, since these startup and shutdown commands are executed before X / after X respectively) audio player. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

BTW, if push comes to shove I do realize I can use sox to convert the .wav files in question to .ogg, but I wanted to try another command line player first, if possible, to see if I could isolate the problem.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2007-08-29 07:28:03

onearm
Website

Re: Command Line Audio Player?

You can try with cmus or moc, they are both in the repositories.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#3 2007-08-29 17:10:09

Shaika-Dzari
Website

I think Moc is fast and simple.
Work great wink

#4 2007-08-29 17:41:29

raymano
Website

mpg123 is another one.

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#5 2007-08-29 17:53:39

shining
Pacman Developer

I used mpd + ncmpc a long time, but I just tried moc recently, it looks great smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#6 2007-08-29 20:05:46

mac57
Website

Hi All, thanks for the responses. I tried out cmus, but it seems to want to operate in ncurses mode only. I couldn't find a way to do something like:

cmus filename &

and have it just play a file and go away. I am looking for something like that to play sounds as part of XFCE4 startup and shutdown sequences. Totally non intereractive, you just put the command into the XFCE4 scripts and voila! you get sound.

moc worries me. I run KDE too, and there is a moc already defined on my system, in /opt/qt/bin, which declares itself to be the Qt Meta Object Compiler. I figure I don't want to mess with that by installing something ELSE called moc. So, reluctantly I set moc aside.

HOWEVER, I did find "aplay", the ALSA player. Works well! I thought I would pass this along in case anyone else is interested.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#7 2007-08-29 20:48:21

shining
Pacman Developer

mac57 wrote:

Hi All, thanks for the responses. I tried out cmus, but it seems to want to operate in ncurses mode only. I couldn't find a way to do something like:

cmus filename &

and have it just play a file and go away. I am looking for something like that to play sounds as part of XFCE4 startup and shutdown sequences. Totally non intereractive, you just put the command into the XFCE4 scripts and voila! you get sound.

moc worries me. I run KDE too, and there is a moc already defined on my system, in /opt/qt/bin, which declares itself to be the Qt Meta Object Compiler. I figure I don't want to mess with that by installing something ELSE called moc. So, reluctantly I set moc aside.

That's why the executable is called mocp.

Btw, I admit I didn't read your original thread, only the title, and the answers.
moc / cmus / mpd+ncmpc are not what you want at all, these are full featured music players.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#8 2007-08-29 20:55:05

rson451
Website

wont aplay do this from alsa-utils? im not on my computer so i cannot test this out.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#9 2007-08-29 20:56:11

lucke

mplayer, aplay, mpg132, mpg321 (for mp3s), ogg123 (for oggs) is what you're looking for.

Last edited by lucke (2007-08-29 20:56:55)

Board footer