You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-29 22:25:55

jdhore

2007.08 Gnome issues

I was running 2007.05 great for a while...prolly close to a month. I rebooted about 2 days ago and i got a kernel panic and i couldn't figure out why (i tried the fallback kernel and some other stuff to troubleshoot too), from that i decided to reinstall rather than fix the problem (since i didn't have any necessary stuff/data/whatever). I had the 2007.08 CD and in installed from that and the installation seemingly went fine as well as the installation of Gnome and X. I then set the inittab to Runlevel 5 and the login manager line from xdm to gdm and rebooted. From there is where the problems started. the error i continually get on boot (everything loads find until GDM) is that gdm can't start (i forget the exact error) and i get the error that something is throttled for respawning too fast. just to make sure i didn't do anything wrong, i logged in as my normal user again and tried to exit the .xinitrc ...When i opened nano, the file was empty so i added the line "exec gnome-session", saved it out and rebooted and same issue...I followed the steps on this guide: http://raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=276 pretty much to the letter and it worked on 2007.05 (sometime in early August, late July with everything up-to-date as of those dates), so i'm wondering what's going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
JD

#2 2007-08-29 22:57:10

ks1
Website

Re: 2007.08 Gnome issues

I'm not sure exactly what is breaking/going wrong with pacman and installing gnome but i've tried from a fresh install and upgrading also. This has happened to me. To fix this problem just chmod 4777 /tmp and you should be good to go again.

It is complaining about ORBit and some other stuff etc?

#3 2007-08-29 23:47:31

jdhore

Re: 2007.08 Gnome issues

ks1 wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what is breaking/going wrong with pacman and installing gnome but i've tried from a fresh install and upgrading also. This has happened to me. To fix this problem just chmod 4777 /tmp and you should be good to go again.

It is complaining about ORBit and some other stuff etc?

nope, not complaining about orbit from what i can see

Board footer