You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-30 17:39:24

celf

Arch fails to read or burn cd/dvd (It looks an OS fail)

Hi, my arch system have a problem with the dvd+-rw unit.
The symptons started with write fails in k3b. Some days later i have OS hangs when i opened k3b and now i'm not able to read any file in cd/dvd (i can read the file directory structure but not the contents of the files).
I have tested 3 units (same fail) to discard a unit fail. I have tested a knoppix (it works well) to discard a mobo fail.
That lets me with an OS fail, but i dont know what change or test to do to solve the problem.
My unit is using /dev/sr0 device.
Any help would be apreciated.
Many thanx in advance.

#2 2007-08-30 17:50:00

lucke

Re: Arch fails to read or burn cd/dvd (It looks an OS fail)

Well, you might move back to ide hook in mkinitcpio.conf and check how things work. You can have both sata and ide there (if you're using sata disks; disks would be sdX, cdroms - hdX). If you're using ide (pata hook) disks, you'd have to change fstab and grub/lilo's config files to move back to hdX.

#3 2007-08-30 20:56:46

celf

Damn for me!!!! I have surfered this problem for a month and now, googling a bit, i have found the definitive clue in this page in Czech. I don't understand a word, but i understands two numbers: 40 and 80.
Yes... I was using a 40 pin IDE cable. Just changing the cable all works fine again. Just wonder why it works some time...
Thanx for the reply anyway, lucke.

PD: Just curious: The person in that post is using Arch linux too.

#4 2007-08-30 21:04:00

lucke

Hah, once I wondered why Arch randomly made coasters out of my CDs/DVDs, while burning in Windows was flawless - turned out to be a defect cable.

Board footer