You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-01 20:50:00

AriciU

Firefox crashes (ONLY WITH XFCE) when trying to bookmark pages

Any page for that matter. I hit bookmark and firefox either crashes or freezes... i have to kill the process if it freezes.

The error i get in the console when it crashes is:

/opt/mozilla/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:   849 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

It also happenes sometimes when i try to save files. Not when i right click / save as but when i left click and the save file menu is supposed to appear.

This happens with both Bon Echo (default Arch firefox) and firefox-branded from AUR. Version on both is 2.0.0.6.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Only with XFCE (4.4.1 latest)

Last edited by AriciU (2007-09-08 16:55:20)

#2 2007-09-02 06:07:56

AriciU

Re: Firefox crashes (ONLY WITH XFCE) when trying to bookmark pages

No one? I've googled for error from line 131 and found many threads about it but no one seems to know anything. Some people were saying that it's caused by flashplayer 9 but i removed that, removed all addons that i had installed and i'm still getting it every time.

It's driving me insane! Weird thing is that it only happens on Arch. I have Slack/Ubuntu/Gentoo in paralel and firefox works fine over there.

Last edited by AriciU (2007-09-02 06:08:10)

#3 2007-09-02 08:01:57

shining
Pacman Developer

Did you also try moving your profiles ?

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla-bak

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2007-09-02 17:40:47

AriciU

Move them where?

#5 2007-09-02 19:30:15

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

AriciU wrote:

Move them where?

Anywhere. Or, as Shining recommended, just rename your existing profile. wink

#6 2007-09-02 20:00:26

AriciU

I dont have either .mozilla.bak or mozilla.bak. I've moved profiles.ini and firefox started without any bookmarks or options that i set but it still froze / closed when i tryed to bookmark a page hmm

#7 2007-09-02 22:31:53

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

AriciU wrote:

I dont have either .mozilla.bak or mozilla.bak. I've moved profiles.ini and firefox started without any bookmarks or options that i set but it still froze / closed when i tryed to bookmark a page hmm

No, you must move your ~/.mozilla file. Your ~/.mozilla file is hidden, but that won't stop you. From a terminal, do what Shining recommended:

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.bak

This is renaming (with the mv or move command) /home/yourusername/.mozilla to /home/yourusername/.mozilla.bak
That way, when you start Mozilla Firefox, your configuration files (in ~/.mozilla) will be missing, so Firefox will create new ones. smile

#8 2007-09-02 22:46:11

shining
Pacman Developer

Misfit138 wrote:
AriciU wrote:

No, you must move your ~/.mozilla file. Your ~/.mozilla file is hidden, but that won't stop you. From a terminal, do what Shining recommended:

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.bak

This is renaming (with the mv or move command) /home/yourusername/.mozilla to /home/yourusername/.mozilla.bak
That way, when you start Mozilla Firefox, your configuration files (in ~/.mozilla) will be missing, so Firefox will create new ones. smile

I think moving profiles.ini is also alright, since that file contains the profile name. So moving it should effectively disable the current profile and start with a fresh one, which is always a good thing to check (not only with mozilla apps btw wink).
And restoring it should enable it back.
I think I still prefer working on the ~/.mozilla level as I indeed suggested, but I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

@AriciU
Which arch are you using (x86, x86_64, .. ) ?
Did you try googling for that issue ?
You could also check firefox bugzilla.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#9 2007-09-08 16:53:15

AriciU

Tried everything to no succes. Good thing is i've found out that it only happens with XFCE. Firefox works as it should with gnome, kde or fluxbox.

It's an xfce bug apparently... something with drawing menu's.

EDIT: Xfce's menu is not working properly either. I have to left click any application / link / item from the menu multiple times to get it to start... it doesn't start from the first time i click on it... sorry for bad exprimation.

Last edited by AriciU (2007-09-08 16:56:31)

#10 2007-09-08 18:21:18

AriciU

LOL big_smile

It was my xfce theme that was causing it.

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/G … tent=47512

Nice headaches it gave me. Any idea why a simple theme could be causing all that trouble?

Board footer