You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-02 09:26:13

islamguide.com

Using: Suspend2kernel Grub Loading takes 20+ seconds

Hi!

Is it normal for resuming from suspend2 patched kernel to take 20 seconds at the "GRUB loading...." stage?

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of hibernation if its meant to take that long....

This happens almost every time. Atomic copy and stuff is quite snappy though.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2007-09-02 09:50:02

ise
Developer
Website

Re: Using: Suspend2kernel Grub Loading takes 20+ seconds

Hi,

islamguide.com wrote:

Hi!
Is it normal for resuming from suspend2 patched kernel to take 20 seconds at the "GRUB loading...." stage?

no, it isn't normal that it takes so long. Have you configured your grub settings right?? Is the suspend2 kernel configured right in the hibernate settings? Does it happens with the stock kernel?

Daniel

#3 2007-09-02 10:36:25

islamguide.com

No it doesn't happen with the stock kernel and suspend2 works fine here. Successful resumes practically every single time. I suppose that means hibernate scripts are configured right.

/boot/grub/menu.lst

title Suspend2
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26suspend2 root=/dev/disk/by-label/hda2 ro resume2=swap:/dev/disk/by-label/hda1 earlymodules=piix
initrd /boot/kernel26suspend2.img

From arch wiki,

Do never use a different kernel to resume than you used to suspend! If pacman updates your kernel, don't suspend before you have rebooted properly.

Could this be related to the issue?

I'm thinking of reinstalling grub completely since I have had weird grub problems long before this...

Thanks in advance!

#4 2007-09-02 11:07:48

ise
Developer
Website

islamguide.com wrote:

From arch wiki,

Do never use a different kernel to resume than you used to suspend! If pacman updates your kernel, don't suspend before you have rebooted properly.

Could this be related to the issue?

No, not really. If you update the suspend2 kernel, don't do a suspend with the old one. After updating the suspend2 kernel just reboot one time, that the new suspend2 kernel is running, then you can suspend without problems....

Your grub entry are looking right, so there are no errors...

No ideas from my side anymore....sorry

Board footer