You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-03 00:24:15

caved

Arch System Config Util.

Hi guys,

I started today to make a Arch System Configuration Utility, Now its very basic
and i got alot ideas on how to expand the program with more functions. It is
a basic text editor which lets you config the most important Arch config files on the fly.
The program was born because i as a light desktop user got fed up opening the same
old same old files over and over again in my FM, so whit this thingy i can open them on the fly.
There are probebly half a dozen more config files i could place in the app but this is just
the bare beginning.Hers the screeny:
archconfighv6.th.png

It is very small and uses GTK.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fwh3gzxxiuy
here is the DL link.

I am planning for this program to make it able to start,stop,restart services and display a bunch of system stats really not sure yet
if you have suggestions post smile To be able to save the files you must  run it as root eg, sudo
Enjoy..
Caved

#2 2007-09-03 02:27:16

hacosta

Re: Arch System Config Util.

I think you should use save instead of safe..

#3 2007-09-03 11:51:36

ruscook
Website

Sounds interesting I'll have a look.
Thanks
Russ

#4 2007-09-03 12:16:44

shining
Pacman Developer

That looks pointless, and you can't even use your editor of choice.
Why not just creating a little set of aliases ? For example with vim :
alias virc = "sudo vim /etc/rc.conf"
alias vixorg = "sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
etc

Or there are maybe other better ways that I can't see now.
Anyway, I'm sure you can type "sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf" manually faster (using completion) than opening your program and clicking on xorg tongue

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2007-09-03 18:24:33

s26c.sayan
Website

I think it is a very nice idea! smile

In fact, I had thought of something similar to include with my March Linux, so as to provide the users with a centralized app to be able to configure different aspects of the system, while not holding their hands too much by using bloated GUI-s!!

I'd surely  give it a try.....what else to I need to run it (dependencies)?

Last edited by s26c.sayan (2007-09-03 18:52:24)

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#6 2007-09-03 19:11:56

mucknert

I wouldn't put it quite harsh as shining but I fail to see the use in
that, too. If it was some point-and-click thing I'd say that it would be
perfect to put up on the AUR for newbies to use (allthough it should
remain in unsupported). But that way it is just a simple App-Starter. I
could do the same with some entries to my menu.xml or so. With less
work, too.

No offense but as a coder, I wouldn't put that up for the public at all.
wink Maybe after it has ripened a little. And still I'd think of it as
something that is quite contrary to the Arch Philosophy of keeping
things simple. Another GUI-tool to configure the System. Well, you do
the math yourself.

Last edited by mucknert (2007-09-03 19:14:00)

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#7 2007-09-03 19:40:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

mucknert wrote:

No offense but as a coder, I wouldn't put that up for the public at all.
wink Maybe after it has ripened a little.

I disagree, regardless of the utility of the app:

ESR in catb wrote:

Release Early and Often

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathe … 01s04.html

In terms of the config editor itself, I'm interested to know what other features you're planning. Right now I agree with the others in that the same functionality could be replaced with simpler tools, my preference being a custom "Arch Bookmarks" plugin for your favourite text editor (indeed, now that I see the idea, I may implement this for Pallavi soon. :-)).

However, if you start adding features like one-click restarting of services in /etc/rc.d, automaticly reloading the files when they are saved, possibly a root console, etc, you might be on to something. Especially if you can do it without breaking KISS.

Dusty

#8 2007-09-03 20:20:10

mucknert

Dusty,
you are right when you say that a developer should release his software in order to let it "ripen". In fact, it is my opinion that software can only become better by letting people use it and to hear what they have to say. No problem there.

However, the terms "early" and "often" are pretty ambiguous. It is really a matter of definition and interpretation. To a perfectionist coder, it is still early to release his code after it has some certain granted functionality because he doesn't want to give a bad impression. Who is able to judge what "early" and "often" means? I'm not.

In this special case, I was refering to the software as something that doesn't do much YET. I, for myself, would have put more stuff into it before releasing it because of the simple fact that a sophisticated tool gets more attention than a texteditor for distro-specific configuration files. And more attention means more input. This would be the situation where the bazaar really shines: interesting stuff for interested people.
But that is just my personal preference. Let's just look how this tool goes on.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#9 2007-09-03 21:35:14

shen
Website

tried to download it with no luck. Personally I find it kinda useful. Granted would be nice if it had more features but I think in time as it evolves it could have more useful features. Just keep pluggin at it and get insight and input from the community on features they would like added and run with it.

#10 2007-09-04 07:34:59

caved

Hi guys,

Heres the newone its still bare but it has some more usefull stuff that took some work.
archconfyv5.th.png

* It actually saves its settings now meaning all of its color prefs on exit and its font and position.

* It now accepts a file path, eg. you can pass a file to it at start, for instance from a file manager.

* Open dialog so it can function as a stand alone editor in order to open other txt files.

* The buttons on the bottom have been replaced with a drop down box doing exacly the same but save space to plow the road for more features.

*Theres a primitive prefs box now so you can have all the horrible colors you ever wanted,

As far as i know at this point of deps its need GTK (obviously), other then that its a stand alone executable file to be placed in
your path eg. /usr/bin , and it needs to be run as root (in order to save system files)

Heres the DL link:

http://files-upload.com/files/479672/archconf

Next i will work on a drop down box with the most common log files at an eye glance.
Another idea is to start / stop / restart the most common system sevices (the ones you really dont need running all the time).
If there is any stuff YOU would find usefull to have added to this app then POST!

Caved.

Last edited by caved (2007-09-04 07:40:04)

#11 2007-09-04 13:44:28

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

I'd suggest tarballing the source and providing it along with a PKGBUILD instead of a straight binary file - then people could review the code and, no offense intended, they might trust it a bit more.

I know I'm leery about downloading binaries.

#12 2007-09-04 14:17:27

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I'll second the request for source. Also worth mentioning that it depends on gambas.

Also, seeing as it's gambas, could you output it as QT or GTK2 rather than GTK1?

James

#13 2007-09-04 19:49:55

s26c.sayan
Website

mucknert wrote:

And still I'd think of it as
something that is quite contrary to the Arch Philosophy of keeping
things simple. Another GUI-tool to configure the System. Well, you do
the math yourself.

Well, I don't think The Arch Way has any problems with GUI tools in particular:

NOT let configure tools / GUIs control the system, but that they be controlled by the user. There is nothing wrong with GUIs as long as they follow this principle.

IMHO, this piece of app abides by this principle!! smile

Anyway, I had been "developing" my own version of a similar app for use with my March Linux. It takes ideas from this one, although mine is at a much primitive stage. Also, since my coding skills are rusty, I've used the easy-to-use Kommander editor! tongue

I've planned for an integrated text-editor as well as another text browser for giving helpful info about how to configure the file.
Here are screenies of the 'skeletal' version :
marchconfhy2.th.png

BTW, would an external text editor of choice (like gedit, etc) be better than the integrated one??

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#14 2007-09-04 21:09:05

shining
Pacman Developer

s26c.sayan wrote:

BTW, would an external text editor of choice (like gedit, etc) be better than the integrated one??

Well, that was my main argument for saying this app is useless in my opinion, read my comment above.
However, that indeed only applies to its current state. If this archconf tool evolves and gets more features, then it might become interesting.
For now, its rather "why make it simple when it can be complicated", and so is exactly the opposite of the KISS philosophy smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#15 2007-09-04 22:33:59

caved

Hey guys,

To reply some words to the people placing comments on this little app.
If i hadn't seen the topic of this treat i would never have posted it, i am sorry
if that offended some people because that was and would be never be my intention
also i am not a real dev , this is stuff written in gambas2 LOL. its for fun.
I just wanted to share something i worked on for personal use that maybe
people could think of as semi usefull.

This little project was just a thing to keep me bussy and get used to the Gambas2
IDE, that being said:

I am still working on this thing and wont post any of it anymore before i think it would
be even worthy of making a PKGBUILD for (which might never happen), and then this:
the source that gambas2 gives  can (to my best knowledge) only be compiled with the
gambas2 IDE), Just saw it CAN make a source archive just not sure to what extent this can be
compiled with gcc Thats wy i was posting the stand alone binary files.
Anyway in the version that has not been posted:

* Combo drop down box to have a look at the most used log files on arch linux. (finished)

* Search box + filter to search for keywords in the currently displayed log files and  a
   a filter SO displaying only the lines in log files i am looking for (being worked on atm)

* Controls and drop down box with to the most common system services one would mostly want
   to start, stop or restart) (being worked on atm, controls already done)

* A small CLI window under the text output box , to catch the output of the systems services
  start / stop / restart (being worked on, CLI running but working on the piping of the commands to it)

* Resizing of the hole application without buggering up the positions of the buttons on top and
   botton (finished)

this is what it looks like atm.

archconfnj5.th.png

Caved

#16 2007-09-04 22:48:01

twiistedkaos

Well, you're definately making progress, I give you props smile. I've made a few applications myself but never released them, they are mainly for personal use. I am currently working on something for my friend called obRun, which is nothing more than a small gtk2 text box popup that allows you to type a command and it will be ran. It also uses gtkcomplitions to remember history, and quick access through directories smile

#17 2007-09-05 10:34:08

caved

Hey guys,

Been updating this thing again new features:

* Fully functional system services box : Start | Stop | Restart + output shell window (done)

* Allignment of the output shell (worked on)

* Search button + text filter and input textbox for searching logfiles (some time this week)

I got the following plans for further dev of this app:
I would like to have a button to display the arch linux forum on the textbox with 1 click.
I mean how many times have you worked on ur system and were looking for answers cq help ?
Figured it be handy to have it only 1 click away. (when i come to think of it a drop downbox with arch
linux urls be even better.)
With the introduction of the forum button i guess it be pretty easy to make a button to setup printing
and show the cups web interface no !?

Scratch that idea for now it runs as root unless i let it run a child process being user (if i am able to).
It needs some thought.

I am also thinking of making a module for it so it can display system info and running processes.
Another idea is to have some kind of system so i can make users part of groups and delete them
from it (this needs more thought) smile Darn think i need tabs in the thing if this goes on =P

Heres a screeny of this silly app KILLING my eth0, gkrellm immidiatly boots the eth0 section
(this is SOOOOooo NOT DONE!) cool

archconfhd4.th.png

Last edited by caved (2007-09-05 10:38:16)

#18 2007-09-05 11:40:20

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Please release the source you have in gambas, then anyone can install gambas and run it themselves.

The binary you released still depends on gambas anyway, so you ought to mention it's a dep.

James

#19 2007-09-06 10:15:41

caved

Hey Iphitus,

The gamba project can be made into an Arch Linux package which does not need Gambas2 installed. I am currently
in the process of looking into this. The tool i made is supposed to just run on a basic system,
Once i got the procedure down i package it up and place in in Aur, by then i will also add the source of it .

Caved.

#20 2007-09-06 22:13:43

caved

Hi guys,

I haven't made a PKGBUILD for ArchConfig yet but i got it to run on my Laptop which has only a bare
system installed, i packed up the hole thing so you will be able to install and run it, i also added the source
package which can be loaded into Gambas2 for the ones who want to look at the code.As far as i can
tell the deps are QT and GTK. some pointers.

* the first time it starts it has black buttons and text this can be fixed by setting your prefs, it will write a prefs
   file on exit so then on next start you are fine. This happens when it starts without settings file. This can be fixed
  it is just not yet.

* The program doesn't really look cool on 1024x768 but is functional, i use it on 1280x1024, this can be fixed but its just not in
   this version.

* In order to restart sys services it makes sense to run the program as root eg. sudo user, this also goes for sysfile editing,

Here is the DL link:
http://files-upload.com/files/485389/archconfig.tar.gz

remember to read the README file inside the archive.
Enjoy

Caved

Last edited by caved (2007-09-06 22:15:18)

Board footer