A friend of mine has a high-end windows games machine that he wants to use in multi-boot with archlinux.
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ICH9 chipset
Add-on card : PCIe sata raid controller Higpoint Rocketraid 2300
HDD setup :
2x wd raptor 150 Gb on rocketraid 2300
2x 500 Gb sata drives on ich9 controller in ahci mode
In order to get the speed benefits of raid 0 for both windows and linux, we intend to use the hardware raid functions of the rocketraid 2300.
The raid 0 is also meant to be used as boot/system drive.
I have already created a package for the kernel module (after testing it will be submitted to aur) .
So i need the module active for the install cd AND for the new installation on first boot.
If necessary i could use pacman.static -U to get the module active during install, but i don't know how to make sure it's present on the first boot of the new installation.
I have found some references that it is possible to add packages to the iso, but couldn't find details on forum or wiki how this is done.
I don't know how up-to-date it is.
It is out-of-date and lacking in details, but it has helped.
I've tried a bit with vmware and think i have found a way :
mount the iso & copy it to a new directory
cd to arch/pkg
copy the needed packages there
run repo-add to add them to the db
edit setup/packages.txt and add lines for the packages in a category (addons seems like an appropriate name)
make a new iso
boot with this iso, mount the cd
install the packages with pacman.static -U so you have their functionality
package selection in setup now allows to select the new category & packages so they will be present in the new installation.
Once i have tested this on a real pc (probably this weekend) i'll edit the wiki.
Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-09-05 13:26:27)
I encountered a few minor problems, but the install went ok.
After the kernel module was installed, the raid 0 was detected as sdc and worked fine.
On the first boot after the install however it was detected as sda, so grub couldn't boot.
Correcting the menu.lst solved it.
- The 2007.08 installer 'install packages' broke on the _ i originally had in the package name , after replacing it with - and removing the i686-part it worked.
I've submitted the package to aur and intend to edit the wiki soon.