You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-06 06:39:25

onearm
Website

Strange udev problem

I've been modifying my udev rules to make my photocamera work and I got it with these rules:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="NIKON DSC E2000", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="camera", GROUP="camera"
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mount -t auto -o rw,user,noauto,sync,dirsync,noatime,shortname=mixed,gid=camera,umask=000,iocharset=utf8 /dev/camera /media/camera", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/camera", OPTIONS="last_rule"

Now, the problem is that whenever I have these rules enabled in 00.rules I get at boot time the message "couldnt open /dev/vc/1" till vc/12 and therefore I can't login in my box because there isn't a terminal login at all. I'm sure that the rules above are the culprit because it happens anytime I enable them and not when I comment out.
Maybe I could enable kdm/gdm and use a graphical login, but it's beside the point (I do prefer starting X with startx).

Any idea? Is it a bug or what?

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#2 2007-09-06 07:01:56

Stefan Husmann

Re: Strange udev problem

onearm wrote:

I've been modifying my udev rules to make my photocamera work and I got it with these rules:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="NIKON DSC E2000", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="camera", GROUP="camera"
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mount -t auto -o rw,user,noauto,sync,dirsync,noatime,shortname=mixed,gid=camera,umask=000,iocharset=utf8 /dev/camera /media/camera", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/camera", OPTIONS="last_rule"

Now, the problem is that whenever I have these rules enabled in 00.rules I get at boot time the message "couldnt open /dev/vc/1" till vc/12 and therefore I can't login in my box because there isn't a terminal login at all. I'm sure that the rules above are the culprit because it happens anytime I enable them and not when I comment out.
Maybe I could enable kdm/gdm and use a graphical login, but it's beside the point (I do prefer starting X with startx).

Any idea? Is it a bug or what?

Hello,

the rule-syntax changed in one of the latest releases of udev. At least "BUS==..." has to be "SUBSYSTEMS==..." now. But there are other changes, too.

#3 2007-09-07 07:17:23

onearm
Website

Damn, why udev keep changing something every release....

Ok I'll try changing bus to subsystem and I'll make you know if it corrects the problem.

[edit]nope, even changing bus to subsystem and sysfs to attrs hasn't helped[/edit]

Last edited by onearm (2007-09-07 08:01:43)

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#4 2007-09-07 14:22:25

byte

If you look at the default /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules file, you'll see that those rules for /dev/vc* are already marked with "last_rule". So remove it from your file.

#5 2007-09-08 06:47:14

onearm
Website

byte wrote:

If you look at the default /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules file, you'll see that those rules for /dev/vc* are already marked with "last_rule". So remove it from your file.

Ok, thanks it worked. Honestly I don't understand why because I have another rule previously in the same file (for my usb drive) which is very similar and has a couple of "last_rule" and it didn't create any problem so I supposed it was ok to use again this option.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

--
My Github

Board footer