You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-06 09:46:47

paul80

Both ethernet and wireless time-out trying to connect

I'm having a problem with getting my laptops' IP assigned by dhcp. Both over ethernet and wireless.

I have no problem connecting to my WPA connection at home, but now I'm at my parents for a week or two, it refuses to connect to their WEP network.

To connect to my WPA network I run this script from rc.local, which works fine on startup.

ifconfig ra0 up
iwconfig ra0 essid *********
iwconfig ra0 ap **:**:**:**:**:**
iwconfig ra0 rate auto
iwconfig ra0 channel auto
iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
iwconfig ra0 txpower auto
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK=***************************************
iwpriv ra0 set TxRate=0
dhcpcd ra0

So for the WEP network, I have commented all that out and changed rc.conf like so:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
ra0="dhcp"
wlan_ra0="ra0 essid ***** key *******************"
WLAN_INTERFACES=(ra0)
INTERFACES=(lo eth0 ra0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

But when I try to connect it just returns "Error, ra0: timed out".

I have also tried modifying rc.local (appropriately i think), but that seems to time-out too.

This wouldn't be so bad if I had the option to connect by ethernet, but that doesnt work either! It also times out, just like the wireless. I don't think it is the router, as all the other computers in the house work fine, both wired and wireless. But I don't think it's a driver issue either, as I can see all the AP's in kismet, and also I used the ethernet port when I first installed Arch a couple of months ago. I assume it's dodgy config files or clashing commands or something, but I've looked in the wiki and other forums etc, and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Paul

#2 2007-09-08 09:39:16

mykey

Re: Both ethernet and wireless time-out trying to connect

Make sure about the addresses for the LAN the router at your parents is using - they are not necessarily the same.

Board footer