You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-07 22:53:49

Kienja Kenobi

DHCP Errors

I use a dynamic IP, so I have been trying to get DHCP working.  I changed the interface line in rc.conf to this: eth0="dhcp" just like the Networking Wiki says.  I also made sure that I have dhcp and dhcpcd installed.  When I installed dhcpcd there was no message telling me that I needed to add it to the daemons for it to work, but because dhcpcd is a daemon, I assumed I needed to and so it is now in my daemons list in rc.conf. 

When I start the computer, right after syslog-ng loads, I get this error: "/etc/rc.multi : line 16 : /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd: No such file or directory"  Then network starts loading, takes much longer than it usually does, and finally stops to give this error: "Error, eth0 : timed out"

I made sure dhcp and dhcpcd are installed by updating both of them.  Do I need to create a /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd file myself?  What can I do about either of these errors?

#2 2007-09-07 23:19:45

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: DHCP Errors

Kienja Kenobi wrote:

I use a dynamic IP, so I have been trying to get DHCP working.  I changed the interface line in rc.conf to this: eth0="dhcp" just like the Networking Wiki says.  I also made sure that I have dhcp and dhcpcd installed.  When I installed dhcpcd there was no message telling me that I needed to add it to the daemons for it to work, but because dhcpcd is a daemon, I assumed I needed to and so it is now in my daemons list in rc.conf. 

When I start the computer, right after syslog-ng loads, I get this error: "/etc/rc.multi : line 16 : /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd: No such file or directory"  Then network starts loading, takes much longer than it usually does, and finally stops to give this error: "Error, eth0 : timed out"

I made sure dhcp and dhcpcd are installed by updating both of them.  Do I need to create a /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd file myself?  What can I do about either of these errors?

You needn't add dhcpd to your daemons line in rc.conf. Remove it. Double check your rc.conf settings against the network wiki entry. Make sure  it looks something like this:
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)
(Notice the ! bang in front of ROUTES=(!gateway))

#3 2007-09-07 23:25:06

lucke

You don't add dhcpcd to DAEMONS array. It gets run when you have a network interface set to dhcp in rc.conf.

It may be that you're misinterpreting what DHCP is. Do you have a router which gives out IPs using DHCP?

#4 2007-09-07 23:58:38

Kienja Kenobi

Now that I have looked up "router" at Wiki, I guess I do not have a router, and therefore I do not need DHCP?  I simply want to be able to use dial up Internet from a provider who assigns IP addresses dynamically.  I thought DHCP was something I needed to be able to work with dynamic IP addresses.  (But I do not have a router...)

#5 2007-09-08 00:14:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Dialup is setup differently than a nic, though I have no experience doing so with Arch; I haven't used dialup with any OS in many years.

#6 2007-09-08 00:20:05

Kienja Kenobi

I see...  Does that mean that all of the /etc/hosts configuration mentioned in the Network Wiki is useless to me as well?

#7 2007-09-08 00:27:26

lucke

/etc/hosts is a different story. Whatever network setup you have, you should at least have that localhost line (although "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost hostname_set_in_rc.conf" is probably a more suitable syntax than the one presented in the Network Wiki).

#8 2007-09-08 01:26:09

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

#9 2007-09-08 16:40:08

Kienja Kenobi

Thank you, but I exhausted all of the Arch Wiki's articles that directly have to do with a dial-up connection the first week of my troubles.  I am basically looking for anything related, directly or indirectly, across the entire Internet.  I can get physically connected and get a successful PAP authentication, but I always run into CCP and ICPC Config-Request timeouts.  These problems are all over Google, but no solutions.  hmm

#10 2007-09-09 12:54:44

Lone_Wolf

What kind of modem / connection did you get from your isp ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer