You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-08 18:35:25

afonic

Problem with Network after GNOME install

Hello,

I have some pretty weird problem here. I just installed Arch 2007.08 in an old laptop of mine. Everything went smoothly and I quickly found myself with a working Linux system with networking using DHCP. However after downloading and configuring Gnome using this guide I had some weird problem as the network is not working anymore.

If I remove the Gnome daemons ("portmap", "fam", "dbus" and "hal") from rc.conf and do not start it I have network again. Note that it is not a network problem as nor DHCP or static config work. I noticed I get a message in bootup about (IRQ 10 disabled) that I get only with those modules loaded. Also I have network in that machine if using an Fedora 7 Gnome LiveCD for example, but I prefer Arch as it is much more lightweight.

Any ideas?

Your source for video guides!
My Linux reviews.
Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.5GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

#2 2007-09-08 19:22:31

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Problem with Network after GNOME install

What form of networking are you using?  Networkmanager?  Arch network scripts?  Also, copy/paste your full DAEMONS and MODULES arrays from your /etc/rc.conf. 

My initial thought would be that it's due to the order of your daemons...

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2007-09-08 19:28:59

afonic

Re: Problem with Network after GNOME install

As weird as it may seemed, it kind of fixed itself.

While I was trying with or without Network-Manager, with or without Gnome etc in one reboot everything worked.

Everything looks the same since my first install though. :S

Your source for video guides!
My Linux reviews.
Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.5GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

Board footer