You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-06 09:15:52

vbd

Kernel Update

I downloaded the archlinux iso and installed a very basic system to tinker
with it. Seems to be very nice at least for me wink

What I've never done before (I'm using linux since 1996  - since 2000 more or less on my desktop)
is an kernel update.
How to do with archlinux?
Will pacman -Syu do it?

Is it necessary to make a backup from the whole system? Partial (if yes what should I backup)?

regards
Volker

#2 2004-04-06 10:14:30

Xpop

Re: Kernel Update

The only thing I had to do after  pacman -Syu ...Was to update my  nividia driver...

#3 2004-04-06 10:31:53

dp
Website

kernel update works automagically if you run pacman -Suy, but if you use lilo, you must run it after update of kernel to be able to boot the new kernel

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-04-07 03:03:55

Win

Hi vbd.

As the previous posters have mentioned, all you really need is:

pacman -Syu

with some minor caveats: (a) making appropriate changes to /etc/lilo.conf file (and please make certain you also run lilo -v after you make the changes or you'll be rather unhappy with the results) or to /boot/grub/menu.lst, if you use grub; and (b) more significant changes if you upgrade from the 2.4 to the 2.6 kernel series.

If you've started with the 2.6 series, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

If you're moving up the food chain, the there are numerous changes to consider: (a) sound (i.e., you'll be using ALSA in 2.6); and, especially, (b) device drivers.  First, many device and sound drivers in the 2.6 series have different names from their correspondents in the 2.4 series.  Second, the capabilities and configurations of the kernels are different for these two series.  USB devices and CD burning, for example, will require changes to rc.conf.  And you'll be using modprobe.conf for various device configurations in 2.6, but modules.conf for 2.4.  Almost all of these changes are recorded in one place or another in these fora.

So, it would be rather easier if you installed the 2.6 kernel from the start.

Good luck,

Win

#5 2004-04-07 04:41:44

vbd

Thanks for the hints.
At the moment I use 2.6.3 and grub. I have to replace my savage on-board graphics card (sk41g barebone) with a nvidia 5200, because xfree won't support it in a useful way.
This box is not up a "productive" system so I can go on tinkering wink
All my experiences will go to my linux diary wink

regards
Volker

Board footer