You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-10 10:00:43

csutomi

KDE install without internet

Hi!

I want to install kde, but I have a slow internet connection, so it would be convenient to download first the packages needed and just after to install it. Is there any place to download it from? It would be painful to download it from package to package because of the dependencies...

Can anyone help me?

#2 2007-09-10 14:47:58

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: KDE install without internet

Are you saying you have a faster connection elsewhere?  If not, then you might as well download it via pacman which can at least resume downloads, etc. if you have to disconnect before it is fully downloaded.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2007-09-10 14:53:17

thayer
Fellow
Website

One more thing... I suppose you could download the core packages manually with an FTP client or similar tool... Currently, the KDE group contains these core packages:

:: group kde:
    arts  gwenview  kde-common  kdeaccessibility  kdeaddons  kdeadmin  
    kdeartwork  kdebase  kdebindings  kdeedu  kdegames  kdegraphics  kdelibs  
    kdemultimedia  kdenetwork  kdepim  kdesdk  kdetoys  kdeutils

You can find direct links to these packages here: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-09-10 17:39:25

csutomi

Yes I want to download them manually. Thanks for the answer and list.

#5 2007-11-07 17:59:45

krazybastid

I'm confused also about installation. I copied x org and kde to a cd from windows. And I don't know how to get pacman to install the folder titled "packages". Is there commands with pacman that can install packages strait from a cd if pacman is running blocked up or less connectivity?

#6 2007-11-07 18:29:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'd copy the packages from the CD into /var/cache/pacman/pkg. Then just run the pacman -S kde command you would have used -- if the package is in that directory it won't be downloaded.

You can also get a list of the packages you want to download using pacman -Sp kde, that makes it easy to get the packages on another connection.

DUsty

Board footer