You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-06 17:06:40

linuxfool

Feature request

I think it would be a nice feature if pacman would monitor it's downloading and if the tranfer fell to 0.0 kb/s for a specified time... quit and then resume the download (w/o user intervention)... This would help those of us on crummy DSL connections ;-)

It would also make arch linux the *only* distro w/ this feature in their package management tool...  (I think I've tried them all).

Take care,
ns

#2 2004-04-06 17:17:59

wakeupbomb

Re: Feature request

sounds like a good idea to me. Pacman barely ever finishes downloading anything without me having to restart it cause it's fallen to 0.00k/s. Dunno why it happens but it's a pain sometimes if you have a big update.

#3 2004-04-06 20:02:53

Moo-Crumpus

· If more than one package is marked to fetch, show download time for each / all packages in the way of
[Current package of selected ones] [time to complete current package | time to complete all packages]
[3 of 13] [00:01:12 | 00:23:12]
· pacman will check for dependencies BEFORE checking gigabites of stuff and quitting THEN
· pacman will fetch packages from 4 different servers in a kind of load balanced download manager. Will check for the fastest 4 servers and fetch stuff from them.
· pacman will tell the user / root which pac configs are stored as a backup or which are stored as a nea copy in a file / a mail / a pop up thing, don't know. I hate the surprise to visit /etc/ from time to time and notice a large number of *.pac files - and to have no idea if sonething has changed or not.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2004-04-06 23:09:32

lanrat

pacman will make you coffe while you play frozen bubbles
pacman will sing you a song when you are sad
pacman will pay your bills while you sleep
pacman will ultimately settle peace for the whole world
:-) well wish list is wish list... roll

#5 2004-04-06 23:18:43

lanrat

...but seriously you should be carefull when setting the parameters for reestablishing connections when speed drops to 0kb. I'm using the wireless connection to my provider and ocasionnaly wile downloading huge packages it drops to 0kb for a few seconds (access point goes to sleep sometimes :-)) - but current pacman version handles such things quite well and I wouldn't like to find it reconnecting every few seconds. We need a second parameter like timeout.
But frankly the only big problem I had with pacman was that it stopped downloading big packages at 99% and I had to rerun it to finish download. It seems that with the latest version of pacman this problem went away (tnx Judd).

#6 2004-04-07 05:28:09

linuxfool

Pacman does really really well at work on the T3 - never have a problem, ever - but here at home I need to use a d/l manager day to day, our DSL link is that bad... So, in my case, pacman is not the root of the problem, but I have looked for a package mgt. tool that could deal w/ it gracefully... and there is not one out there.

Also, unfortunatly, in my case, when the ISP craps out, nothing will ever pick the download back up again except for a d/l manager that is set up to auto-resume.

It's sort of a stupid feature request, since it's not a pacman issue that it's overcoming, but it would make running a linux box at home more enjoyable, or if somebody had a slow or unreliable link at work, possible...  and that has to count for something -- doesn't it ;-)

P.S. -- I particularly like this one..... I drink a lot of coffee, so pacman would be busy..
*** pacman will make you coffe while you play frozen bubbles ***

#7 2004-04-07 05:48:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

pacman does do auto-resume, assuming the remote ftp server is configured with it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-04-07 06:22:58

Arielext
Website

lanrat wrote:

pacman will pay your bills while you sleep
:-) well wish list is wish list... roll

pacman will pay your bills, with money from others (in a load balanced way, while you sleep!

sheejs how can pacman be cool if I still have to pay my own bills smile

apt-get install arch

#9 2004-04-07 11:42:33

lanrat

Xentac wrote:

pacman does do auto-resume, assuming the remote ftp server is configured with it.

This would be nice to know which of the servers from pacman.conf support this. But my problem was not autoresuming but hanging up at 99% of download when downloading large (let's say a few mb and up) packages. After pressing ctrl c and starting pacman again it even did not try to download the remaining 1% - apparently the package was properly downloaded before - so the problem was with pacman and communication with the server. There is a bug report filled about this but after latest upgrade of pacman this problem stopped :-) or at least I think so because I did an upgrade of X without any problems.
Also sometimes pacman waits forever (well I've never waited more than a minute :-) actually) when download speed drops to 0 (and does not disconnect) and manual restart does have an effect in this case - this would be nice if pacman could in this case after timeout (let's say 30 sec) force a disconnect and then reconnect automatically. This problem probably is due to a bad connection only but not everyone owns T1 :-)
BTW: pacman as tax collector? scary :shock:

#10 2004-04-07 14:55:37

linuxfool

Xentac wrote:

True, and that works fine, after you kill the process and rm /tmp/pacman.lck and then restart pacman, it picks up the download right where it left off. At that rate, it will only take me forever to upgrade since my connection goes south about once every two minutes  lol

#11 2004-04-16 09:13:52

hehejo
Website

lanrat wrote:

...But my problem was not autoresuming but hanging up at 99% of download when downloading large (let's say a few mb and up) packages.... but after latest upgrade of pacman this problem stopped :-) ..

I'm using version 2.7.7 of pacman, but I still have this Problem. I don't really mind to restart pacman, but I have only ISDN and it stopps very often at 99%. And I won't stay near my PC all the downloading time..

Johannes

#12 2004-04-16 11:04:07

lanrat

Hmm. Maybe my connection improved since then :-)
Just try a new pacman option of using wget or some other downloading tool - there is some wiki page about this.

#13 2004-04-16 12:12:19

wakeupbomb

well I found out it was actually the router making pacman stop all the time, bloody thing.

#14 2004-04-16 14:26:36

matias

wakeupbomb wrote:

sounds like a good idea to me. Pacman barely ever finishes downloading anything without me having to restart it cause it's fallen to 0.00k/s. Dunno why it happens but it's a pain sometimes if you have a big update.

see this http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=3960.
I was with the same problem.

Bye.

#15 2004-04-16 18:55:53

linuxfool

XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -t 99 -T 10 %u

in pacman.conf -- does the job for me ;-) sweet job on the new pacman option!!! Hats off to the developer!

May be the force be with you,
ns

#16 2005-04-29 15:00:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

JaggedKnife wrote:

that it checks packages dependicies and installs them...

ummm.... it does

#17 2005-05-05 11:10:20

CyberTron
Website

I would like to get pacman to download PKGBUILDS and build the program itself?

if there is such a feature then can't we make the AUR availible so that for example: pacman -AUR adesklets

would download the pkgbuild and build it

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#18 2005-05-05 15:25:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

CyberTron wrote:

I would like to get pacman to download PKGBUILDS and build the program itself?

if there is such a feature then can't we make the AUR availible so that for example: pacman -AUR adesklets

would download the pkgbuild and build it

srcpac will use abs and build a package (pacman -S srcpac && man srcpac)

however, using srcpac+AUR is under some discussion on the mailing list - there's security issues... so give it some time

#19 2005-05-05 17:16:53

CyberTron
Website

sounds absolutely perfect big_smile
vill try the srcpac

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#20 2005-05-05 17:41:00

darkcoder

A retry count with the amount of retries defined on /etc/pacman.conf. 

Gentoo do something like that and is very useful, when servers are a bit busy and you want to download the files unnatended.

#21 2009-07-19 04:38:19

whacath

I want pacman to show me feelings! Now hes too cold when he for example tells me: "error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root." sad

It would be great if he (atleast) could get some serious help in form of an notifyer or something that tells me when he is happy (up to date) or sad (not updated in awhile).

What do you think? smile

#22 2009-07-19 04:39:40

Allan
Pacman
Website

I think you should not bump really old threads:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … Bumping.27

Board footer