You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-13 12:46:55

un_ospito

ATA + SATA disks

Hello everyone!

Not so long ago, I used to use Slackware. I've bought new PC with Core 2 Duo recently, so I wanted also x86_64 OS. In order not to recompile Slack's packages I decided to check out Archlinux.

I was trying to install Arch, but faced one big problem. I've got one SATA and one ATA disk, and I want to install Arch on the ATA one. The problem is, that Arch (and actually other live distros neither) doesn't see this ATA disk. When I type 'fdisk -l' it shows partitions on the /dev/sda, but there's nothing about the disk which should be /dev/hda.

Because of the fact that on Window$ (not only I use this computer neutral ) everything works, i thought the problem lies in drivers/modules, but...

I've tried to load ide_core, ide_disk, piix... doesn't work.
I've tried to turn off the SATA device (unplug cable and run installer), still doesn't work.

How are they connected?
SATA - port 5 - DVD-RW
SATA - port 6 - Hard disk
IDE - channel one (the only one on my motherboard) - Primary Master - Second hard disk

I think there's no RAID or something enabled by default... My mainboard is MSI (Intel P35 Chipset) Neo2-FIR
By the way, on 32bit version I have the same problem.

Last edited by un_ospito (2007-09-13 13:43:25)

#2 2007-09-13 13:38:03

morellik

Re: ATA + SATA disks

In a computer with only ATA disk I set this values in mkinitcpio.conf:

MODULES="pata_via ide_disk ata_generic"
HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide pata keymap filesystems"

pata_via depends of your ATA disk controller. Check your with lspci and modprobe -l |grep pata

#3 2007-09-13 14:07:34

un_ospito

I found : "1 IDE port by Marvell 88SE611" in mainboard's instruction. I've tried to load pata_marvell, but it still doesn't work. Finally I googled: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … l+88SE6111
I see people have problems with this. So, how to run it on arch?

#4 2007-09-13 15:26:48

un_ospito

I found "RAID Mode" in my BIOS. Is it important in this case? There are three available options - [IDE, RAID, AHCI] . Which one should be set?

Board footer