You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-18 01:52:26

Suspend to ram Dell insipron 6000 (probably easy)

Hey,

I'm having some basic problems with the whole suspend to ram operation.  As a new user to configuring this by hand, I'm a bit lost at where I should start.  So this is what I have so far.

I have installed Klaptop, and it has the suspend option, but after suspending, it doesn't resume.  (It powers back on to a black screen only where I can't do anything)

I have installed pm-utils.  pm-suspend suspends the computer and then on resume just goes to the same black screen like klaptop does.

My daemons  are

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng cpufreq !network netfs crond kdm dbus hal dhcdbd networkmanager autofs keytouchd)

and my modules are

MODULES=(b44 mii acpi_cpufreq cpufreq_stats cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_userspace ipw2200 ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-ac97-codec snd-intel8x0 snd-intel8x0m soundcore i8k)

I don't think I've configured enough files or something like that.  Are there any files in /etc/ that I should be modding to get suspend to ram to work properly?  Is there anything wrong with my daemons or modules? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
e^1

#2 2007-09-18 02:01:27

fwojciec

Re: Suspend to ram Dell insipron 6000 (probably easy)

It might be tricky, actually sad

The most important thing is what is your graphics card and which driver for this card do you use - clearly your computer suspends ok, just on resume either the card or the monitor doesn't wake up...

My suggestions would be:
Try hibernate-script (package in the repos) and try experimenting with different configurations.
Search the web for your computer model and suspend hibernate and such and try to look for some hints as to what the problem is.
Problems with suspend are very hardware specific so there are no good general solutions, or at least that's my experience - you need to be lucky to find a laptop that just works.  Both laptops I've used required extensive tinkering before I was able to suspend/hibernate reliably (both had display problems similar to what you're experiencing - one has intel graphics, the other nvidia - in each case the solution was completely different).

In other words - it is certainly doable, but will require some work.
Good luck.

#3 2007-09-18 02:40:00

thayer
Fellow
Website

If you have an ATI graphics card, make sure you disable framebuffer. Refer to the Power Management section of the Dell Inspiron 6400 wiki for detailed instructions:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Del … Management

You might want to bookmark that wiki anyway as it has a lot of info that is applicable to similar Dell models.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-09-18 20:21:22

RobF

I've got suspend and hibernate to work with pm-utils (and kpowersave-devel) on a Dell Inspiron 6400 about 80% of the way, and I'm appending my install notes on this.  Perhaps they'll help you.  This new power management scheme looks like a convoluted mess to me, and I'm still flailing with it. 

Also see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=37493

--- How to configure Arch for power management on Dell Inspiron 6400 ---

1. Install acpid, pm-utils and cpufrequtils, i.e. # pacman -S acpid pm-utils cpufrequtils

Add 'acpid' to the list of DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf.  If you already have hal specified in your DAEMONS, there is no need to add acpid. HAL will automatically detect and load the acpid daemon.

Both pm-suspend (suspend2ram, low power state) and pm-hibernate (suspend2disk, system powered down completely) are usually called from HAL, e.g. initiated by the desktop applet kpowersave.

They can be run in several ways:

a. Via buttons or shortcuts (e.g. Fn-ESC for Standby, Fn-F1 for Hibernate)
b. From KPowersave in task bar
c. Or, without using HAL and other frameworks, call pm-suspend or pm-hibernate from the command line as root:

# pm-suspend
# pm-hibernate

2. Configure pm-hibernate (suspend2disk):

When the machine is placed into hibernation, it will move all data from RAM to the swap partition (swap size must be >= RAM).  Edit the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding 'resume=path_to_swap_partition', e.g.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 resume=/dev/sda5 ro vga=791

3. Configure cpufrequtils:

a. Add the driver "acpi-cpufreq" to the MODULES list in /etc/rc.conf.
b. Load a governor(s) (a pre-configured power scheme, loaded as a kernel module) by adding 'cpufreq_ondemand' or 'cpufreq_powersave' etc. to the MODULES list in /etc/rc.conf.

c. Edit /etc/conf.d/cpufreq to include valid governor(s) and the proper freqs for your CPU (get these values by running $ cpufreq-info), e.g.

governor="ondemand"
min_freq="1GHz"
max_freq="1.67GHz"

d. Add 'cpufreq' to the list of DAEMONs in /etc/rc.conf (after 'hal').

e. In /etc/pm/config.d/ create a file 'config' and in it list the modules to be unloaded before suspend, e.g.
SUSPEND_MODULES=" button uhci_hcd"

5. If applicable, change the labels for the power and sleep buttons in /etc/acpi/handler.sh.
E.g. in Dell Inspiron 6400 replace PWRF with PBTN and replace SLPB with SBTN.

6. Configure proper handling of lid closure by editing the button/lid section in etc/acpi/handler.sh.

I don't know how to do that as yet but the following hack at least will allow you to close the lid after putting the laptop on Standby and have the screen come back to life after resuming, rather than having it remain black.

Put the following shell script '000hacks' into /etc/pm/sleep.d/ and make it executable (you'll have to install vbetool):

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend)
        chvt 1
        vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbe
        ;;
    resume)
        vbetool post
        vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbe
        chvt 7
        ;;
esac

7. Read Arch wikis:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cpufrequtils
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpid

#5 2007-11-07 19:36:34

Michael451

Is there a way I can just figure out what command is used when using the function button on my laptop for sleep?  Because that was working fine with acpi=off on my grub line - it would suspend to RAM and then come out fine with no issues.  However, my toddler recently spilled my drink on the laptop (thrusting up a book he wanted read to him) and the keyboard no longer works despite my best efforts to clean it.  So I now must use an external keyboard without that function button.  I went through the wiki and after removing acpi=off from my grub line I can suspend using pm-suspend, but screen does not come back on resume.  So rather than go through the process described above, is there a way to just execute whatever command was used by the function button?

#6 2007-11-07 21:48:57

raf_kimmig

As I'm not using the default acpi scripts im not shure -
but I guess this would be

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

regards

raf

/edit

I am using an inspiron 6000 (the one with the x300) myself and for me suspend 2 ram works fine.
I'm not using the testing repo as in testing suspend is regularly broken.
Furthermore I'm not using hal,networkmanager,dbus - don't know whether any of these could be responsible for your troubles.

Last edited by raf_kimmig (2007-11-07 21:56:08)

#7 2007-11-10 04:58:42

Michael451

Thanks for your response raf_kimmig.  Before my laptop keyboard went on the fritz, I suspended to RAM by putting acpi=off on my grub line and using the function key on my laptop.  It would not work without the acpi=off.  However, after the keyboard mishap when I tried typing the "echo" command you listed, it would not work until I removed the acpi=off command.  So apparently the function key does something different.  While it suspends now, the screen does not come back on resume.

I tried using vbetool and the script listed above without success.  But then I have not had success getting acpid running or using cpufreq.  My cpu is a Pentium 3.  For what it's worth, when I configured my own kernels under gentoo I used apm only, no acpi.  I think that's why I initially needed the acpi=off command, so I wouldn't think acpi is the way to go for me, but now I need it to suspend even though I didn't when I could use the function key?  This is making no sense to me.

Board footer