You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-19 00:58:04

tulix

Using SOCKS with Konqueror (or KDE in general)

Hi.

I'm trying to use a SOCKS proxy with Konqueror (as can be done rather easily with pretty much any 2-bit GTK browser), but I'm not having much luck.

The path I'm following:
1. Konqueror -> Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Proxy -> SOCKS:
2. [x] Enable SOCKS support
3. Select any one of the 3 SOCKS Implementation options: [Auto detect, NEC SOCKS, Dante]
4. Press Test
5. Receive message "SOCKS could not be loaded."

Perhaps I need to install a SOCKS package like Dante, but I could find none in Core, Extra, or Community.  I was able to find one in AUR, but it seems rather unlikely that one would have to build an AUR package just to use a SOCKS proxy in KDE.

What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

#2 2007-09-19 13:19:44

dschrute

Re: Using SOCKS with Konqueror (or KDE in general)

It looks like a separate socks package is needed for KDE/Konqueror.  See here for some info :
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/k … index.html

I haven't used it, but tsocks is available in extra.  That may work.  Failing that, I've used Dante as a server ( not the client part ) and it's an easy build, and the config is not that difficult for simple setups.  Just read all the docs.
You could also look at something like proxychains :
http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/

#3 2007-09-19 13:20:12

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Try tsocks 1.8beta5-1  in extra/network .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2007-09-19 14:12:09

tulix

dschrute and Lone_Wolf,

Thank you for your responses.

I read http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/k … index.html , and it does indeed seems that a separate socks package is needed

docs.kde.org wrote:

If you know the client you have, you could choose either NEC Socks or Dante. If you have a custom built SOCKS library to use, you can select Use custom library and then enter the path to it in the Path field.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find either of those two clients in any of the 3 official arch repositories, and I'm assuming there must exist some sort of solution that does not require me compiling a package not in the repos, as using a SOCKS proxy with KDE/Konqueror must be a rather common occurrence.

I already have tsocks installed, but I can't seem to get it to work with KDE/Konq.

docs.kde.org wrote:

If you want KDE to auto detect the SOCKS library in use, but you suspect it isn't looking in the right places or you have installed it in a non-standard location, then you can add further paths to be searched in the bottom of this panel. Use the Add and Remove to add or remove paths.

So I first added /usr/lib to the "Additional Search Paths", selected "Auto detect", pressed Test and got "SOCKS could not be loaded." just as before.

I then tried specifying the path of the tsocks libraries.

pacman -Ql tsocks
tsocks /usr/bin/tsocks
tsocks /usr/lib/libtsocks.so
tsocks /usr/lib/libtsocks.so.1
tsocks /usr/lib/libtsocks.so.1.8
tsocks /usr/man/man1/tsocks.1.gz
tsocks /usr/man/man5/tsocks.conf.5.gz
tsocks /usr/man/man8/tsocks.8.gz

So I checked "Use custom library" and added each of the libtsocks paths (even though the first two are symbolic links that eventually lead to libtsocks.so.1.8) individually, pressing Test after each one and getting "SOCKS could not be loaded." every time.  I even tried specifying the bin, desperately, hoping against hope for a miracle.

docs.kde.org wrote:

At any time while filling in this module, you can press the Test button, and KDE will report immediately with a message box to tell you if it could find and initialize SOCKS or not.

So,  I guess I didn't have much luck with tsocks.  What am I doing wrong?

#5 2007-09-19 21:10:02

dschrute

This may be wrong but...
The way I understand it, you would not set a socks server in the Konqueror config, but rather you would :
- set the socks server in the tsocks config file
- Set your local subnet in the tsocks config file ( see tsocks.conf man page for this )
Then either set the LD_PRELOAD variable to the path to libtsocks.so and then run konqueror or run "tsocks konqueror".  This basically tells tsocks to intercept network traffic from konqueror, and forwards it to the socks server.  It looks like the tsocks package includes the 3 man pages with all the info...I'd read them for the full story.

Board footer