You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-21 11:47:08

perseus

Timestamps on /proc and /sys

Hello,

This is my first post since installing Arch a few weeks ago.  Before asking my question I will take this opportunity to say thank-you to the developers and all who contribute.  I am delighted with my new system, and very impressed with the range of packages available and the frequency with which they are updated.

My question is as follows.  I am in the UK - my timezone, the bios and system clocks are set up accordingly.  I have just been playing with rsync to create backups and this led me to look more closely than I usually would at timestamps on files.  I see that immediately after booting /proc and /sys and most of the directories and files under them bear change/access/modification stamps exactly on hour later than my clocks.  For example, my last boot was at 11.47am today, but most timestamps are 12.47pm

Can anyone explain why this is?  Is it a problem?

Last edited by perseus (2007-09-21 11:48:27)

#2 2007-09-21 18:23:33

robertp

Re: Timestamps on /proc and /sys

Are you using daylight saving time? BST ?

I experience similar behaviour but time difference is two hours (I am in CEST timezone).
I guess it's minor defect in linux kernel that we shouldn't worry.

#3 2007-09-21 18:58:43

perseus

Re: Timestamps on /proc and /sys

Are you using daylight saving time? BST ?

Thanks for responding.

Yes I am using BST.  I thought at first that my hardware clock might not be using BST and was being read at boot-time - but I have checked and it is set to BST.  I agree that there does not seem to be any problem as a result of this behaviour, but I am really puzzled as to where the kernel is getting its time from.

Board footer