You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-21 15:08:58

blabj

NX server 3.0 + KDE on Arch

I have been able to get NX server 3.0 w/KDE working on Arch.. took some tweaking so thought I'd share:

1) download tar/gz packages for nxclient, nxnode and nxserver from www.nomachine.com

2) place them in /usr, and tar zxvf them (first the nxclient, then nxnode, then nxserver)

3) If you have license keys, install them now.. otherwise you're running with free version (2 session max)

[EDIT:  step 4) run install scripts as "redhat" first, which will fail.. (but create nx user appropriately), then run as debian..  ie. "--install redhat" followed by "--install debian".]

4) run install scripts, first "/usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxnode --install debian"  (yes specifying debian works), followed by "/usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxserver --install debian"

5) /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --start   and /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --status   to check  (don't look for a server process, there is none)

6) create a wrapper script.. I created /usr/bin/startkde
#!/bin/bash
source /etc/profile
exec /opt/kde/bin/startkde &

7) on the nxclient machine, you have to configure to use "Custom" startup script... (General tab, Desktop section, Unix + Custom)  then click on settings... select "Run the following command", and put /usr/bin/startkde  and select "New virtual desktop".

8) login via nxclient as a valid user on nxserver machine

Hope this helps. smile

BJ.

Last edited by blabj (2007-09-24 16:55:06)

#2 2007-09-21 18:45:02

Jurassic

Re: NX server 3.0 + KDE on Arch

I wonder how you managed that...
The first problem I faced was with "nxnode --install debian". It complains about not being able to create /etc/init.d/nxsensor" but seems to run till the end.
Second problem is more serious. Apparently "adduser" script in arch (which was taken from slackware I believe) is totally different from debian. Installation fails on this line:

adduser --system --disabled-password --home /usr/NX/home/nx nx

I might try to temporary replace adduser with the one from debian, if I can find it, and see how far I can go this time.
But still, how come it worked for you ??

Last edited by Jurassic (2007-09-21 18:45:28)

Arch linux

#3 2007-09-21 20:47:04

blabj

Interesting.. I looked at my install logs, and it turns out that this worked for me because I first tried "/usr/NX/scripts/setup/nxnode --install redhat".. which failed (after performing the adduser).. so I followed it up with the "debian" option, and it didn't complain (obviously user was created properly in first run).

BJ.

#4 2007-09-24 18:10:59

Jurassic

I got it to install using "--install suse" option. It seems to run more or less okay. What doesn't work though is the session suspend/resume sad
Overall I was happier with FreeNX than I am with nomachine server. For some reason the maintainer of freenx package doesn't update it anymore so I decided to give it a try.

Arch linux

#5 2007-09-25 16:17:26

blabj

I have no problems with suspend/resume.  But I think if you have pre 3.0 clients, it may give you trouble.  For example, I cannot suspend a 2.1 nxclient session and resume it with a 3.0 nxclient.  A good idea is to try to match client/server versions.

The session shadowing works for me as well.

BJ.

Board footer