You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-23 19:05:27

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Anjuta crashes when trying to use debug

I have installed Anjuta-2.2.1.  I was playing with a simple C++ program and decided to check out the debug features.

I enabled the debug menu, set a watch point and tried to run the program and Anjuta immediately crashed.  This was on a x86_64 system.

I installed Anjuta on my i686 system, same thing.

Anyone having the same problems?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pudge

#2 2007-10-14 00:55:42

Pudge

Re: Anjuta crashes when trying to use debug

Finally had time to get back to this issue.  Did some research at the Anjuta web site, and discovered Anjuta uses gdb for it's debug feature.  I did not have gdb installed.  Installed gdb and the debug feature worked.  So, gdb should be a dependency for Anjuta.  I wrote a bug report http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8299 stating the same.

Pudge

#3 2007-10-14 01:07:20

hussam
Website

You should also report this to Anjuta developers. Instead of crashing, Anjuta should simply complain the gdb isn't found on your system.

#4 2007-10-14 15:27:48

Pudge

The bug report was closed with this comment:

gdb is one of many optional dependencies. we only use essential deps. see Arch packaging standards. and it's easy to pacman -S gdb if you want that feature.

1.  Isn't "optional dependencies" an oxymoron?  By definition, if it is a dependency, it is essential.

2.  Yes it is easy to pacman -S gdb IF you know that gdb is necessary for the debug feature to work.  I have installed Anjuta on Fedora and a couple of other distros, and debug worked out of the box.  When Debug didn't work on Arch, I had no idea that a missing dependency was the cause.  There was nothing in the Wiki on Anjuta.  I posted here in the Forums and got no reply.  I tried loading Anjuta on one of my i686 machines thinking it might be an issue with x86_64, but it didn't work there either.  I installed Fedora 7 on my test computer, and Anuta's debug feature worked out of the box.  At this point I knew that the problem was with my Arch install, and not Anjuta itself.  I figured something had to be missing on my Arch install.  The only way I found that gdb was a dependency, was looking on the Anjuta web site under a page called "Features".  Under the "Integrated Debug" feature, they mentioned as an aside in parenthesis (currently backed by gdb, but will have other debugger backends soon).  That's when the light went on.  However, in the mean time, I spent a few hours figuring this out.

3.   Since the Anjuta Devs say that they have an "Integrated Debugger" in Anjuta, I personally think that gdb should be a dependency during Anjuta's installation.  However, I am not a dev, so I am not going to try and tell them what to do, or argue the point any further.  The devs do a wonderful job and don't need any grief from me.

4.   I have seen several devs state that what really makes them mad is people complaining about something and not offering a solution or alternative way to do it.  I agree with that statement.  So, here is my offered solution.  If gdb is not going to be made a dependency of Anjuta, then they should put a statement in the .install file that will print on the screen at the time of Anjuta's install that gdb is necessary for the debug feature to work.  Said statement should also include any other optional dependencies that are known and what features they affect.

Please do not take this as whining, I am just trying to save someone else some grief down the road. 

Thanks for providing a civil forum where such matters can be discussed.

Pudge

#5 2007-10-14 15:54:25

Pudge

hussam wrote:

You should also report this to Anjuta developers. Instead of crashing, Anjuta should simply complain the gdb isn't found on your system.

Done.  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=486597

Pudge

#6 2007-10-14 18:38:42

AndyRTR
Developer

Pudge. The point why I don't add gdb as a dependency is that it's not a link level dependency. So you can run Anjtua without having gdb installed. And I hate those post.install messages "install gdb if you want" nobody reads.

It's good when you report it upstream. A small notice when not detecting gdb would solve it. We will see where they will go.

AndyRTR

Board footer