You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 05:24:48

SipSlack

XFCE will not install anymore

I installed Arch using the latest base image, got X going and now pacman complains that there is some gcc-lib conflict problem and will abort the install. I did an Arch install last week and didn't have any such mess. Same thing happened with Gnome and KDE today. Need some help here. I just got done figuring out why the latest base CD could not find any repositories (core not listed in pacman.conf). Also, the initial grub install fails and found out it works if you do it twice (?).  I write firmware and Windows apps for a living and if I released such broken stuff like this I'd be so fired. Very frustrating. To make sure I wasn't going loco I installed Mepis Linux on another partition and it only took 15 minutes.

#2 2007-09-24 05:33:02

CocoAUS

Re: XFCE will not install anymore

The latest installer CD has known issues (in the Announcements forum).  I'd suggest using the older installer CD.  If you read the announcements on the main page, you'll also see that there was recently a renaming of the repositories ([current] changed to [core]), which is why you had issues with [core] not being listed--the installer came out before the repos were changed around.  The announcement also states that to fix this problem, simply install using a base CD first (instead of using FTP), then update pacman, and your repositories will be automatically changed from current to core--a great way to handle things, if you ask me.

In short, Arch is not broken, but changing (well, the latest installer CD is broken for some, but the others work just fine).  Hope that explains things for you.

#3 2007-09-25 00:25:58

byte

Praise pacman -Syu and up-to-date mirrors. Joy.

#4 2007-09-25 00:55:05

jacques

I had similar problems with the latest build.  I tried it with Voodoo, and everything came out working fine.

#5 2007-09-25 07:34:11

SipSlack

Hey thanks 'byte'. That did it, I got xfce to install and it works once again. I can sleep early tonight.

Board footer