You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-25 03:49:23

ssl6

windows media sharing equivalent?

well, until i switched my desktop over to linux, i had windows media player sharing my music across my network for the other machines to pick up, the ones with vista at least as the WMP11 in vista will add libraries being shared by media player

then i had another program i got on xbins sharing music to my xbox

and i had a shared folder for the other XP machines

not that i like sharing everything from my main desktop, but i havent been doing much with it lately, so the performance loss hasnt crippled msn on me

anyway, so far, i've got my samba share working for the xp machines, had to use it for the vista machines as well though as im finding my transfer rates between samba/windows shares are rather poor, i get 2mbps tops, better than the 600kbps i was getting before and im not sure what improved it

and i also got gnump running as upnp, i thought it would be a good replacement for the media sharing service but the vista machines dont pick it up the same. havent tried my xbox with it (the xbox has xbmc on it) but im sure it should work. and i can stream it from the vista machine, if i go to the web page for it, but i just want WMP to add it to library, so the samba share is the closest, but it mixes the local library with the shared library

basically, i think what im asking, i need something to share music, that vistas WMP will find automatically, if there is anything since im the only one running linux. everyone else in the house is running vista, plus one XP machine that will be moving to vista soon though

im trying to get something running now for testing before i move all the media stuff to a server, at which point ill also be running a linux media center with myth tv in the livingroom

this is a signature

Board footer