You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-29 00:58:01

hybrid

Which program(s) to watch DVB-T live-TV, get an EPG and record shows

Hi, I am about to buy a DVB-T USB stick and am trying to figure out what software I'm gonna use. I'm new to DVB (but I was using an analog TV card until now).

k, so this is what I want to be able to do: I want to be able to watch TV (pause, rew, ff), have an EPG accessible and if I could easily record TV shows that would be like the icing on a cake. I also have a homebrew serial ir-receiver (running with lirc) and I would like to be able to control as many of all these functions with my remote control.
I don't know if I have to utilize a couple different programs or if there are "suites" out there that can do all that. It should run on Arch on my "productive computer" - I only have one computer, I use it to listen to music, work.

I hope someone gets what I mean. smile
I'm looking forward for your replies.

#2 2007-09-29 21:58:36

hvidgaard

Re: Which program(s) to watch DVB-T live-TV, get an EPG and record shows

I think MythTV does just all that smile

#3 2007-09-29 23:57:06

retsaw

Kaffeine will do that, but I don't know if it has remote control support.  MythTV takes a bit of effort to set up and does seem to use quite a bit of RAM, but has got lots of features and is nice to use.  You'll probably prefer MythTV, but you might want to try Kaffeine out if you just want a simple program (relative to MythTV) for TV.

#4 2007-09-30 00:47:19

hybrid

MythTV does look good indeed. It would probably be my favourite app and my computer should be good enough (C2D E6300, 2GB RAM, ...), I just feel a little weird setting up a mySQL-server and what not to watch tv. :> but it seems to be the most convenient to use. Does anyone of you use MythTV on your regular computer (not on a different machine dedicated for that) and can tell me how (if) it affects your everyday computing experience? :>
Yeah, Kaffeine can most of what I want, I guess I will try Kaffeine, Klear and MeTV (if I write a pgkbuild for it) out and MythTV of course too once I have my TV-stick.
But still, if anyone has any information or feeling towards any of these applications, please tell me. :>

Last edited by hybrid (2007-09-30 00:47:47)

#5 2007-09-30 01:19:14

Echo

hybrid wrote:

Does anyone of you use MythTV on your regular computer (not on a different machine dedicated for that) and can tell me how (if) it affects your everyday computing experience? :>

My master backend is a desktop that I use pretty much on a daily basis. I used to run into problems when mythfilldatabase ran, although, that issue seems to be better now?? Other than that no problems to speak of. If myth is working the box hard with recordings, mythfill..... then I just wait to do more cpu intensive things like transcoding an mpeg to xvid until later. One down side though is if you just want to "play" with your desktop system to the point of breaking something then your gonna need another box. You obviously don't want your Myth box down when new shows need recording. wink

#6 2007-09-30 21:39:37

Noneus
Website

Could you run the mythtv server on one pc streaming the tv stuff to a frontend on another pc?

#7 2007-10-04 10:30:46

DonVla

hello,

try freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
for running properly (the "watch tv" function) it needs twisted-web 2.4. arch comes with 2.5, so you have to downgrade. (i also have some working pkgbuilds for installing xmltv here.)
but the configuration is easier than mythtv. downgrading twisted-web is imo less work than configuring mythtv, 3/4 of freevo ran out-of-the-box.

vlad

ps: i forgot. there is also vdr (Video Disk Recorder): http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

Last edited by DonVla (2007-10-04 16:45:38)

#8 2007-10-12 12:32:55

raf_kimmig

retsaw wrote:

Kaffeine will do that, but I don't know if it has remote control support.

It has - via the DCOP interface (easily extensible :-)

raf

#9 2007-10-12 14:24:54

Noneus
Website

raf_kimmig wrote:
retsaw wrote:

Kaffeine will do that, but I don't know if it has remote control support.

It has - via the DCOP interface (easily extensible :-)

raf

But you can't really compare it to the mythtv remote control interface.

Board footer