You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-29 06:51:18

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Daunting task of Celestia plugins

Did you know that there are 10GB of Celestia plugins at celestiamotherlode.net?  Being a Celestia fan, I better get cracking.  There was a nice set of detailed planet tour scripts that teach you the names of a bunch of craters on moons of planets. The file hierarchy was setup for windows users but I made the PKGBUILD rearrange it to be Arch-friendly.  It's called celestia-planettours-enhanced-en in the AUR.  Enhanced because there is also a simple version from the motherlode site and en because a few other languages for them are available.  I tried the tours... they all work but there are a few things that don't get displayed.  These are not bugs in the tour because those same things don't get displayed on a bare Celestia installation.  It might be my shitty graphics card and you'll see them perfectly.

You have to edit one of the data files but I put instructions for that in the AUR aswell.  I don't think it's safe to write a patch file for that because OTHER plugins require extensive editing of this file aswell.  Still this is a little less painful than downloading, studying and moving the files around yourself.  So I hope Celestia users enjoy this... hopefully it won't be long before I get working on another Celestia plugin package but I have midterms coming up so that'll be hard to fit in.  Anyone want to help me with the other 9.9GB? tongue

Last edited by ConnorBehan (2007-09-29 06:51:59)

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#2 2007-09-30 02:23:12

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Daunting task of Celestia plugins

Oh another note, it replaces a bunch of textures that come with celestia (with better ones).  If you really like the old ones, you have to back them up yourself.  If you leave the textures there, to install the planettours package you need to --force the installation.  I thought about putting mv /usr/share/celestia/textures/medres/whatever.jpg /usr/share/celestia/textures/medres/whatever.jpg.pacsave in the PKGBUILD but I thought it was bad form to work outside the ${Startdir} in a build script.  The install script also only has options for post_install not pre_install as far as I could tell.  If you have other workarounds please share smile.

#3 2007-11-19 03:26:37

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Daunting task of Celestia plugins

Alright, I added a compilation of all the satellites orbiting Earth, that are on that site.  They work but the Hubble, ISS and TERRIER models and/or textures don't render for me.  Those are by far the biggest ones that actually have a lot of attention to detail.  So I probably can't see them because my graphics card doesn't support those textures.  Either that or I'm just very unlucky. So I need someone to test this and see if they can spot TERRIERS, the ISS and the Hubble Space Telescope.  I'm sure I installed them the right way but I will not know for sure until someone says they indeed show up if the graphics card is good enough.  It is called celestia-earth-satellites.

Board footer