You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-30 09:17:35

fftb

pacman ignore gnome 2.20

I wonder if there is an easy way to stick with gnome 2.18?

Since I really don't like certain changes in Gnome 2.20 I want to stick with 2.18 a little while to see how things evolve after 2.20. I looked at the possibilities to say pacman that I don't want the new Gnome and stuff.

I could --ignore packages every time i use pacman --sync, but with so many packages not very convenient.
Or put IgnorePkg = packages in /etc/pacman.conf.
Or do a pacman --sync kde tongue just kidding

Are there any side effects, when I'm not using the latest and greatest of the Gnome folks in repos?
Any hints to do this like a pro?

#2 2007-09-30 09:42:34

retsaw

Re: pacman ignore gnome 2.20

I think you want "pacman -Rsc gnome", then you can do a "pacman -S kde" or "pacman -S xfce". wink

Seriously, using the --ignore option won't really be practical for the amount of packages you'll need to include (you have to retype the --ignore switch for every package you want ignored), so you'll have to either put the packages in your /etc/pacman.conf, or you could use "pacman -Syu" just to check which packages have updates and then just update individually the one you really want.

There is a possibility of programs breaking if their dependencies get upgraded, at which point you'll either have to upgrade, or recompile the older packages yourself.

Last edited by retsaw (2007-09-30 09:43:29)

#3 2007-09-30 11:57:12

fftb

Re: pacman ignore gnome 2.20

retsaw wrote:

I think you want "pacman -Rsc gnome", then you can do a "pacman -S kde" or "pacman -S xfce". wink

Well then, I guess I'm doomed, my friend.

retsaw wrote:

There is a possibility of programs breaking if their dependencies get upgraded, at which point you'll either have to upgrade, or recompile the older packages yourself.

A lot of hassle just for things being the same. Think I'm too lazy for that. Anyway thanks.

somebody on slashdot wrote:

Since this is a new GNOME release, what configuration option did they cut out now?

[http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?si … 19/2220232]:lol:

*me* not so happy with this release.

Board footer