You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-09 00:10:05

dustismo
Website

Computer won't stay turned off

Hello,

I have a wierd problem with Arch linux. Doing "shutdown -h now" only gets me to a "power off" message then I have to manually turn off the computer--then after the computer is off for 5-10 minutes it turns back on.  I have to actually unplug it to keep it off.

I am using a custom compiled 2.6.5 kernel with a Dell dimension v400 pentium II.  The same problem happened when I installed arch with 2.4 kernel--yet it hasn't happened with any other distro that I have tried with this hardware (redhat, gentoo, vector, debian) what is the problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dustin

#2 2004-04-09 00:35:36

aCoder
Website

Re: Computer won't stay turned off

Is ACPI enabled in the new kernel?  I had the same problem whenever I used a kernel that either didn't support ACPI, or didn't have it turned on.  Of course, if your board doesn't support it, ACPI may need to be turned off.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#3 2004-04-09 10:29:09

Bobonov

To hacve the computer turn off automatically add this to you grub where you load the kernel
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/di ............ acpi=on acpi=power-off

For the other problem I try to guess.....
Do you have an onboard network card? If yes try to check you bios if the computer has to wakeup on netwrok signal.

#4 2004-05-02 20:11:56

dustismo
Website

Adding this to grub:
(hd0,0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/di ............ acpi=on acpi=power-off

did not work..

I recompiled the Kernel with no acpi support and now the computer will stay off (don't need to unplug it anymore), but I still have to press the power button to shut it off (no big deal).  Also I was having a problem where the network card would not work after a soft reboot, now it does smile

thanks for the help
-Dustin

#5 2004-05-03 13:19:52

i3839

Look in the bios for acpi related options, perhaps you'll find something interesting. You can also try poweroff  instead of shutdown, that worked for me once. You need either acpi or apm support to poweroff the computer (both isn't a good idea).

Board footer