You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-03 22:39:17

DonVla

Playstation -> PC USB adapter

hello,

some days ago i've installed on my old 1.2ghz celeron epsxe and everything just worked fine. almost all games are running, everything cool. i also bought a cheap saitek ps-gamepad-lookalike. it runs out of the box (usbhid, joydev), but sadly after one week the analog joystick got unaccurate/unsable.
however, a friend of mine borrows me his old ps2 gamepad and i want to plug it through an ps2->usb adapter to the pc.
does anyone has any experience with this adapters?
on ebay (http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll … p=1&fsoo=1) they are all quite cheap (7-10€), but all this adapters seem to have/need drivers (for what?), at least for windows. and i don't trust ebay. i often bought crap from this pro-sellers.

thanks in advance,

vlad

Last edited by DonVla (2007-10-03 22:46:07)

#2 2007-10-04 03:11:19

buttons

Re: Playstation -> PC USB adapter

I have one dual one from ebay and one single converter from radio shack.  Both work beautifully as of kernel 2.6.22.  In kernels 2.6.19-21 there was a bit of an issue with new multiport joystick code, but that's all been fixed now.

If you're curious about any specific adapter, there's a great guide available at the Stepmania site.  Remember...unless you actually want to play DDR/Stepmania you don't have to have the ability to press up + down at the same time, so even those adapters on the stepmania site work fine.  Personally, though, I suggest just getting one with full compatibility.  Who knows?  You may want to play DDR some time.  Like you've seen, there are plenty of cheap ones on ebay.

For reference, I use this to play FretsOnFire with RF-Mod.  I have two PS2 guitars and they both work great, even in multiplayer (though occasionally there's a bug where my wireless guitar goes screwy when we're playing head to head.  I blame the guitar.)

Cthulhu For President!

#3 2007-10-04 10:21:54

DonVla

thanks buttons for your reply!

i've seen the stepmania site, but i think you cannot get the EMS adapters here in germany. and the information about the other adapter manufacturers is quite vague. but it's a good overview of the existing adapters.
i think i'll buy either this one
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 98248&rd=1
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 98248&rd=1.
do these adapters support the vibration function of the playstation pad (of course under linux)?

vlad

#4 2007-10-04 23:04:46

buttons

Hmmm...that I don't know.  I kind of doubt vibration would be supported under any OS with a converter, but I could be wrong.

Cthulhu For President!

Board footer