You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-06 11:49:01

Matt3o

Beginners guide misc suggestions

- Some help configuring cpufreq on multicore cpus. I talked about it in another thread, but I was slightly off topic.

- nvidia tweaking suggestions could be removed (imho):

Option          "RenderAccel" "true"
       Option          "NoLogo" "true"
       Option          "AGPFastWrite" "true"
       Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"

RenderAccel is enabled by default in recent drivers. AGPFastWrite is obviously needed only on AGP cards. I would probably leave "NoLogo" only. I would expand the NVIDIA wiki page instead with more updated options such as DamageEvents, UseEvents, TripleBuffer, BackingStore, ecc...

Last edited by Matt3o (2007-10-06 14:08:28)

#2 2007-10-06 12:04:53

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Beginners guide misc suggestions

It's a wiki, anyone can edit, sign up and go for it.

James

#3 2007-10-06 12:39:46

Matt3o

iphitus wrote:

I thought that some more experienced user may review my suggestions before making them live...

#4 2007-10-06 13:44:48

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

iphitus wrote:

Agreed.
Matt30, if you are sure of a method and procedure, feel free to edit the section. I do spend a lot of time on the beginner's guide, but I am by no means a guru.
1. I adjust entries that I am confident are deprecated, or inaccurate.
2. I  try to improve layout and clarity.
3. I correct spelling and grammar.
4. I try to add a bit of a welcoming tone, and also indicate some of Arch's strong points.
I am always happy when someone adds or edits something that I am not experienced or comfortable with, because cumulative experience is so much better than solitary, for a wiki.

The part of the nVIDIA section you are referring to was added by someone else, a while back. It may be deprecated, as you say, but because I always install the nvidia driver in a certain way, I have never had to tweak my xorg as noted. I have revamped the whole nvidia section a few times over the past few months, but I never touched that particular blurb, because it offers an alternative step which I never needed or used. Again, feel free to improve the section. smile

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-10-06 13:46:22)

#5 2007-10-06 16:09:31

Matt3o

okay guys... here is my first contribution to the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVI … IA_drivers. My all respect to those that constantly update the wiki, it's a hard and time consuming task! Please review my writings and correct my bad english.

In the nvidia section I added a few options not strictly related to nvidia drivers, but I think that it's nice to have them all together (so you don't need to jump from one page to another). Feel free to remove them if you think they are not appropriate.

#6 2007-10-06 16:32:48

kensai
Website

Nice, I got some new things from there, Thanks. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Board footer