You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-06 23:02:54

Joeman1

Info on CK kernel

So, is the CK kernel obsolete based on the fact that most of Con's patchset is now included in the mainline kernel (According to a recent interview I read), or are there still other benefits of using his kernel?

Thanks!!!

Joe

Last edited by Joeman1 (2007-10-06 23:16:27)

#2 2007-10-06 23:59:21

foxbunny
Website

Re: Info on CK kernel

AFAIK, Con is no longer maintaining it. So, unless someone has taken up the maintenance, it is obsolete in any case.

From my limited (and subjective) experience, CK's CPU scheduler did a slightly better job on Arch with KDE, than CFS... but that was only tested with two completely different patchsets and kernel versions (-ck and -kamikaze), so it's hard to tell.

#3 2007-10-07 00:50:23

buttons

Re: Info on CK kernel

Joeman1 wrote:

So, is the CK kernel obsolete based on the fact that most of Con's patchset is now included in the mainline kernel (According to a recent interview I read), or are there still other benefits of using his kernel?

Thanks!!!

Joe

I'm not sure which interview you read, but that is incorrect.  CK is no longer maintaining his patchset because he tried and failed to get virtually any of his patchset integrated in the mainline (it's more politically complicated than that, but that's the gist.)

CFS is based loosely on some of the ideas Con used in his scheduler, and that is being merged into 2.6.23.  His other significant achievement, swap prefetch, was also rejected from mainline.  Swap prefetch is being ported into the Kamikaze patchset for the foreseeable future, however.  If you're interested in CK features, I'd recommend Kamikaze.

Last edited by buttons (2007-10-07 00:50:56)

Cthulhu For President!

Board footer