You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-07 14:50:49

srimalik

[solved]pacman seems to be stuck in infinite loop

Hi, All
I was trying out gnome2.20 which is till in testing.
Installation of the packages was smooth, but I could not start X after the installation.
The Xorg logs said that there was no X sever installed while the It was listed in the pacman -Q
I decided to remove everything and do it again so I did a

pacman -Rc xorg-server

During the removal I thought of taking a backup of my xorg.conf and intruppted the package removal process by Ctrl+C.

After copying the xorg.conf
I re ran 

pacman -Rc xorg-server

but it seems to be running in loop.

The message printed are like(these are not the actual message as I  dun have an acces to the system)

Kmplayer not found in database

So presently am not able to do anything (install/remove X). Text mode is working fine though.

Can somebdy suggest some workaround(deleting/adding) something from/in the pacman database. or smthing like that.

Thanks
Sri

Last edited by srimalik (2007-10-08 16:49:49)

#2 2007-10-07 14:52:33

lucke

Re: [solved]pacman seems to be stuck in infinite loop

What if you run "pacman -Sf xorg-server" or "pacman -Rd xorg-server"?

#3 2007-10-07 14:54:58

srimalik

Thanks for the quick reply, but I dun have the system at this time, Will try these commands in the morning and tell you the results.

#4 2007-10-07 15:54:16

shining
Pacman Developer

I would rather try to do that with kmplayer (pacman -S or pacman -R or both).

Otherwise, the loop itself should be fixed in pacman 3.1.
But what caused the loop in the first place, I am not sure. There might still be a problem in the interruption handling.
Pacman is supposed to catch ctrl+c for exiting cleanly, But maybe it failed to in this case.. I don't know.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2007-10-08 16:49:17

srimalik

Forcefully removing the packages worked and I installed gnome 2.18. Its up and running now.

There seems to be some problems with interrupt handling in pacman though, It didn't leave the system in a consistent state.

Thanks
Sri

#6 2007-10-08 17:26:28

shining
Pacman Developer

srimalik wrote:

There seems to be some problems with interrupt handling in pacman though, It didn't leave the system in a consistent state.

If you wanted this to be improved, you would need to find a way to reproduce this bug, and then report it on bugs.archlinux.org .

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer