You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-09 14:22:36

venky80

I am hosed! Cant make a new KDE User Help!!

Hi, I dont know what i did. I wanted to delete one of the KDE users. So I logged in as root in KDE, deleted the user using userdel command
Then I deleted the home folder of the user.

Then I made a new user with same name using useradd command and associated hime to all the relevant groups using usermod command

Now I see the user in the KDM screen but when i try logging in, the screen comes back to KDM screen how can I add a new user is KDE hmm

Thanks

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#2 2007-10-09 14:33:31

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: I am hosed! Cant make a new KDE User Help!!

did you give this user a password?

#3 2007-10-09 14:46:26

Ramses de Norre

Can you login to a plain terminal with this user? (Such a terminal can be reached by pressing ctrl + alt + 1)

#4 2007-10-09 14:57:26

venky80

yes I can login in the terminal ...and yes I have given the user a password...i have added him to network storage audio  etc. groups also...
I think i deleted his home directory thats why maybe KDE is not able to run...I can run KDE as root...Is there any module to add user in Kcontrol?
I am using KDE mod
Thanks

#5 2007-10-09 14:59:32

Ramses de Norre

What errors do you get when you run startx when logged in to a terminal? Make sure you've got exec startkde in your ~/.xinitrc .

#6 2007-10-09 15:19:40

venky80

isnt ~/.xinitrc a hidden folder inside /home/userId folder?
I have no i deleted the userID folder..I will post the error message as soon as i get home..currently at work

#7 2007-10-09 15:21:44

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

So, the new user has no home dir?  That's probably the problem - did you recreate the home dir after removing it?

~/.xinitrc isn't a hidden folder, it's a "dot-file" which are usually hidden by 'ls', but yes, it's supposed to be in your user's home dir if you use 'startx'.

In any case, recreate your user's home dir.

#8 2007-10-09 15:29:57

venky80

if i create a home directory from root user ..the user does not have write permissions to his own home folder...maybe that is the problem.....
I thought there was something inside kcontrol to add new kde users sad

#9 2007-10-09 15:34:24

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

venky80 wrote:

if i create a home directory from root user ..the user does not have write permissions to his own home folder...maybe that is the problem.

Yeah, that's also a good thing to check - ensure his homedir is owned by that user.  wink

#10 2007-10-09 18:15:22

venky80

well i made all the suggested changes and I was able to login, but I was not able to restore all the user setting as it was earlier....
I was not able to locate the kdemod-theme in kcontrol panel my terminal window was showing bash3.2 something at the prompt instead of my login ID
I would have imagined there should be a easier way to purge a user from the system and create another.
This seems pretty complex.
I plan to get rid of all KDEMOD packages and reinstall KDE from scratch.

Does anyone know how to purge everything related to a user from the system
When I deleted the user with userdel I still saw the user home directory etc. Is there a simple command which will clean up my whole system as it was when i just has a root user +KDE mod installed

And also how to get rid of all the directories and files associated with a package I have seen even if i remove an application using pacman I still see some directories which belong to those application

#11 2007-10-09 18:23:25

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

venky80 wrote:

well i made all the suggested changes and I was able to login, but I was not able to restore all the user setting as it was earlier....
I was not able to locate the kdemod-theme in kcontrol panel my terminal window was showing bash3.2 something at the prompt instead of my login ID

That's because you nuked the user's homedir - you got rid of the user's .bashrc and kde settings, for example.

Purge everything related to a user?  userdel'ing the user and getting rid of that user's home directory should work, which is what you did, and it looks like you got rid of that user pretty well.  I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

And also how to get rid of all the directories and files associated with a package I have seen even if i remove an application using pacman I still see some directories which belong to those application

If you're talking about files that are generated by "the application" after it's been installed, that's tough to track down - pacman won't know about them, so it can't remove them.  I'm not sure how you'd even figure out that file A is associated with application B, to be honest.

#12 2007-10-09 18:57:03

venky80

venky80 wrote:

That's because you nuked the user's homedir - you got rid of the user's .bashrc and kde settings, for example.

Well my point was exactly that I got rid of the user pretty well but when I added him again why dont I see all the defaults automatically set in. Meaning my login Id in the terminal screen etc.
It happens automatically when i first make a new user doesn't it?

Purge everything related to a user?  userdel'ing the user and getting rid of that user's home directory should work, which is what you did, and it looks like you got rid of that user pretty well.  I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Well user del did not get rid of the home directory of the user , so when I created the user again I could see some of the old settings for that user again. That was what i meant by purging the user.

If you're talking about files that are generated by "the application" after it's been installed, that's tough to track down - pacman won't know about them, so it can't remove them.  I'm not sure how you'd even figure out that file A is associated with application B, to be honest.

Let me try to explain what i meant I installed superkaramba and then installed a widget using it ..now that widget didn't have uninstall button in it...I was pissed and wanted to uninstall it. i un-installed superkaramba and reinstalled it but i still saw the widget... i deleted the .superkaramba folder in my home directory that got rid of the application but it got rid of other widgets too , so i go back to reinstall them using the new theme dialogs and there it shows a tick mark for the application, so I cant install it....I don't know I am a noob but surely something is wrong in terms of consistency here

I hope you understand what I am trying to achieve ...I want to revert back to old settings if i did some minor mess up....thats what I want to achive

Last edited by venky80 (2007-10-09 18:58:49)

#13 2007-10-09 19:04:29

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

venky80 wrote:

Well my point was exactly that I got rid of the user pretty well but when I added him again why dont I see all the defaults automatically set in. Meaning my login Id in the terminal screen etc.
It happens automatically when i first make a new user doesn't it?

Hm.  Maybe you wanted adduser instead of useradd?  I keep forgetting which is which, but one makes the homedir and adds default stuff and things like that.

Well user del did not get rid of the home directory of the user , so when I created the user again I could see some of the old settings for that user again. That was what i meant by purging the user.

In that case, yeah, if you userdel and THEN remove the home directory, you'll get rid of pretty well everything.

Let me try to explain what i meant I installed superkaramba and then installed a widget using it ..now that widget didn't have uninstall button in it...I was pissed and wanted to uninstall it. i un-installed superkaramba and reinstalled it but i still saw the widget... i deleted the .superkaramba folder in my home directory that got rid of the application but it got rid of other widgets too , so i go back to reinstall them using the new theme dialogs and there it shows a tick mark for the application, so I cant install it....I don't know I am a noob but surely something is wrong in terms of consistency here

I hope you understand what I am trying to achieve ...I want to revert back to old settings if i did some minor mess up....thats what I want to achive

Yeah, I understand what you want to do in this case, however it's nearly impossible for pacman to track that kind of stuff, and in most cases you wouldn't want to have pacman -R superkaramba remove everybody's personal superkaramba settings.  There's really nothing sensible I can think of us to do it - it's more the fault of the widget's author not providing an 'uninstall' than anything else.

#14 2007-10-09 19:15:51

venky80

so then what is your suggestion ..how should I clean up my mess.
I appreciate all the help.
I have no idea of how linux organizes stuff but I think if I am doing anything as a user i should be able to revert back if i get rid of the user. In this case all those crappy widget files which i don't even know where it installed

#15 2007-10-09 19:39:23

venky80

ok i think i partially solved my issue. I just used a wrong command to delete user i should have used DELUSER to get rid of the user from the system
I am going to try that, lets see how it works

Board footer