You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-10 20:06:34

sinecure
Website

PKGBUILD provides for web servers

I've noticed that the PKGBUILD file for apache doesn't use the provides array.  After that, I started wondering if anyone has used it for web servers, so:

If one were to create a PKGBUILD for an alternative web server (http://www.mathopd.org), what should be added to the provides array to show that this package provides a web server?

Or, if there isn't anything like that, do any of the TUs or Developers have a preference before I simply put, "web-server" in there? wink

#2 2007-10-10 20:56:01

Wesley

Re: PKGBUILD provides for web servers

as far as i know "provides=()" is an (not very popular) way to rename your packages:
asume this:
u got "foo" and "foo-data", foo-data need foo to work, now you rename foo to foobar, but you still whant it for foo-data, so you use "provides=(foo)" to show that this package provides the same package.
just typed out from memory, maybe i am wrong.
but what i know is that using "provide=()" is stronlgy NOT recomendet

#3 2007-10-10 21:00:42

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Actually, Wesley, in that case foo-data really should be fixed - provides isn't meant to be used that way, although it CAN be used that way (and I did it once for audacious, but that's beside the point wink

sinecure, this has actually been talked about for webservers, however nothing was decided.  You can put 'web-server' in there, but it won't really help anything because nothing else provides web-server - what we need is a standard.  This issue actually got a bit bigger as people started talking about default locations for web files and such, and nothing was ever done (afaik)

#4 2007-10-11 04:43:55

sinecure
Website

In that case, I'll probably leave provides out until there is a standard.  Hrm... need to poke through the wiki and see if anything has been started about standards for provides there...

Board footer